Gibson Brands Forums

Hello

guitarnutt

I'm a recently retired auto worker, and guitar enthusiast, and would like to pickup some part-time work in the guitar industry. Sales would be ok, or, working as an assistant to a luthier would be even better. Would like to learn the trade. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

On 7/10/2022 at 8:34 PM, guitarnutt said:

I'm a recently retired auto worker, and guitar enthusiast, and would like to pickup some part-time work in the guitar industry. Sales would be ok, or, working as an assistant to a luthier would be even better. Would like to learn the trade. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm not sure if anyone is hiring. I would call a guitar shop to see if you can apprentice under someone. I wanted to do it for the lady that used to set up my guitars. She told me I would love to have me, but she would have to do all her repair and setup work, and answer any questions I couldn't to customers, and it wouldn't be worth her time. Even if I worked of free. 

Welcome. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Guitarnutt, I was thumbing through one of Dan Erlewine's books and I saw some information you might find helpful. In Arizona is the Roberto-Venn school of Luthiery. In MN is Red Wing School of Guitar Repair & Construction. In Michigan is the Galloup School of Guitar Building & Repair. This is just a few.

Heck, if you could work for Dan Erlewine, that would be the best education you could get.

Also, take a look at www.luth.org

Edited by afishynado

15 hours ago, afishynado said:

Guitarnutt, I was thumbing through one of Dan Erlewine's books and I saw some information you might find helpful. In Arizona is the Roberto-Venn school of Luthiery. In MN is Red Wing School of Guitar Repair & Construction. In Michigan is the Galloup School of Guitar Building & Repair. This is just a few.

Heck, if you could work for Dan Erlewine, that would be the best education you could get.

Also, take a look at www.luth.org

Awesome, thanks! I will definitely look into that.