Gibson Brands Forums

Oh, What The Heck..."From The Beginning" Written By Greg Lake.

DanvillRob

14 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Nicely done on an Acoustic! Good Vocal too! 

Thanks Lars.    I wanted to play through the Showman amp for this song...no harmony needed....but wanted to add reverb to my ugly voice.

Made this video in my office, (note my two buddies on the couch at the bottom!).

13 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Thanks Lars.    I wanted to play through the Showman amp for this song...no harmony needed....but wanted to add reverb to my ugly voice.

Made this video in my office, (note my two buddies on the couch at the bottom!).

That’s a cool Amp & an interesting choice for an Acoustic Guitar but it works! Your little buddies are enjoying it too! 

9 hours ago, Larsongs said:

That’s a cool Amp & an interesting choice for an Acoustic Guitar but it works! Your little buddies are enjoying it too! 

Lars, I used the old J-50 because it's amplified.... both my Doves and the 'Bird are not.   The 12-String is amplified...but I didn't want to try this song on a 12-String.

I won't modify the DIF and 'Bird, but would put a pick-up in the old Dove....just never got around to it....and I can't imagine I'll still be able to play in a few years....so what's the use?

I bought the amp from a guy I worked with back about 1971/72.   It was beat to crap, and he sold it to me for $75 (I think).    I recovered it with car vinyl top material and the grill cloth was the seat cover from a 1956 Chevy.    Maybe 10 years later, a guy sold me the speaker box ($200).   It had two 'crap' 15" (mismatched) speakers.   When I got the amp chassis rebuilt, I had it covered with the proper Tolex and Fender grill cloth.   At the same time, I bought two "New-Old Stock" 15" JB Lansing Silver Cone speakers, and got a new grill cloth so it matched the amp.  I simply LOVE the amp now, it's just too big to haul around for me these days.  It lives in the office (where this video was shot)....no place for it in the music room.

24 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Lars, I used the old J-50 because it's amplified.... both my Doves and the 'Bird are not.   The 12-String is amplified...but I didn't want to try this song on a 12-String.

I won't modify the DIF and 'Bird, but would put a pick-up in the old Dove....just never got around to it....and I can't imagine I'll still be able to play in a few years....so what's the use?

I bought the amp from a guy I worked with back about 1971/72.   It was beat to crap, and he sold it to me for $75 (I think).    I recovered it with car vinyl top material and the grill cloth was the seat cover from a 1956 Chevy.    Maybe 10 years later, a guy sold me the speaker box ($200).   It had two 'crap' 15" (mismatched) speakers.   When I got the amp chassis rebuilt, I had it covered with the proper Tolex and Fender grill cloth.   At the same time, I bought two "New-Old Stock" 15" JB Lansing Silver Cone speakers, and got a new grill cloth so it matched the amp.  I simply LOVE the amp now, it's just too big to haul around for me these days.  It lives in the office (where this video was shot)....no place for it in the music room.

I love these kinds of back stories… Very cool Amp! I have an older Fender Twin that never leaves the Studio anymore.. Just too much! I usually use a 65 PRRI or a Vox AC15 with Alnico Blue for playing out..

9 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I love these kinds of back stories… Very cool Amp! I have an older Fender Twin that never leaves the Studio anymore.. Just too much! I usually use a 65 PRRI or a Vox AC15 with Alnico Blue for playing out..

Lars, I rarely play out anymore....but when I do, I use my dad's old Princton Reverb Amp.....it's a beautiful old tube amp....and like the Showman, I had the chassis completely rebuilt, and had a new Eminence Red Coat Speaker installed (I thought it was a Celestion, so I just went and looked).   It's small and light enough for what I do.    Back when I was playing out, we had to provide all the sound from the stage, (which is why we used Showman and Super Beatle Amps), but now, they use smaller amps, and mic them through the house sound system with only monitors on stage so they can hear themselves.   Probably why so many old Rockers are deaf!

4 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Lars, I rarely play out anymore....but when I do, I use my dad's old Princton Reverb Amp.....it's a beautiful old tube amp....and like the Showman, I had the chassis completely rebuilt, and had a new Eminence Red Coat Speaker installed (I thought it was a Celestion, so I just went and looked).   It's small and light enough for what I do.    Back when I was playing out, we had to provide all the sound from the stage, (which is why we used Showman and Super Beatle Amps), but now, they use smaller amps, and mic them through the house sound system with only monitors on stage so they can hear themselves.   Probably why so many old Rockers are deaf!

Yeah! I figure if a Princeton is good enough for Mike Campbell it’s good enough for me.. I got really lucky with my 65 PRRI.. It sounded great out of the box.. My 2 Bandmates both have vintage BF & SF Princetons & remark how good mine sounds for not being vintage.. I think they’re just about the perfect small Combo Amp..

5 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Yeah! I figure if a Princeton is good enough for Mike Campbell it’s good enough for me.. I got really lucky with my 65 PRRI.. It sounded great out of the box.. My 2 Bandmates both have vintage BF & SF Princetons & remark how good mine sounds for not being vintage.. I think they’re just about the perfect small Combo Amp..

It’s a great little amp.     I kept the box just as it was when my dad used it…didn’t want to change the rips and dings he put there….I just wanted it to work out and sound as good as it could!    I have a few other amps… I have a sea-green Champ amp (solid state) in the living room behind the piano because the baby grand is so loud, it drowns out my singing, (no snide remarks!), and I keep another amp hooked to the keyboard in the music room, and I keep still another one in the motor home…(just in case).  And of course, there’s the Bassman amp I really no longer use!

On 10/11/2022 at 6:23 PM, DanvillRob said:

It’s a great little amp.     I kept the box just as it was when my dad used it…didn’t want to change the rips and dings he put there….I just wanted it to work out and sound as good as it could!    I have a few other amps… I have a sea-green Champ amp (solid state) in the living room behind the piano because the baby grand is so loud, it drowns out my singing, (no snide remarks!), and I keep another amp hooked to the keyboard in the music room, and I keep still another one in the motor home…(just in case).  And of course, there’s the Bassman amp I really no longer use!

I tried getting away with having a small Amp in the Living Room next to our Grand Piano but my wife gave me “The Look”.. LOL! I have a couple Keyboards in my Home Studio so I let her win.. When my brother & or other friends come over & we play it’s no problem….

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

I tried getting away with having a small Amp in the Living Room next to our Grand Piano but my wife gave me “The Look”.. LOL! I have a couple Keyboards in my Home Studio so I let her win.. When my brother & or other friends come over & we play it’s no problem….

Lars, I got the amp in the same color as the accents in the Living Room...and it's behind the piano, so hardly noticeable.... so she let me get away with it!

Open photo

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

Lars, I got the amp in the same color as the accents in the Living Room...and it's behind the piano, so hardly noticeable.... so she let me get away with it!

Open photo

That looks great to me! My wife would have a Fit! You’re lucky!

14 hours ago, Larsongs said:

That looks great to me! My wife would have a Fit! You’re lucky!

I made the music room because the wife was tired of having guitars stashed all over the house..... so, at least all the guitars are in one place!

Amps are another matter!

On 10/15/2022 at 6:57 AM, DanvillRob said:

I made the music room because the wife was tired of having guitars stashed all over the house..... so, at least all the guitars are in one place!

Amps are another matter!

I have Studio A & Studio B…. Studio A is a full Band Rehearsal & Recording Studio in my 3 Car Garage.. Studio B is my Project Studio in my Home..  All my Gear is in one or the other except the Grand Piano in the Living Room & a nylon String Ramirez Classical Guitar in my Bedroom next to my Bed..

That’s as flexible as my Wife is about my Gear!

Edited by Larsongs

8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I have Studio A & Studio B…. Studio A is a full Band Rehearsal & Recording Studio in my 3 Car Garage.. Studio B is my Project Studio in my Home..  All my Gear is in one or the other except the Grand Piano in the Living Room & a nylon String Ramirez Classical Guitar in my Bedroom next to my Bed..

That’s as flexible as my Wife is about my Gear!

But, where do your cars go?

Sounds like a great set-up!    I have no band....just me..... I used to get with my BIL and my brother about once a month to jam....but my brother moved to the Reno area and my BIL/Sister moved to Sacramento....so  now it's just me.   You've seen the baby grand piano...I also keep an old upright in the family room.   I've had this piano since 1976....and it was nearly 100 years old when I got it, (1872).   The grandkids like to run from one piano to the other!

A couple of photos of the piano....one is recent (maybe a year ago), the other is 46 years ago.

311434716_3270842039795716_3670403865131297454566_1323080968430950_6914715334657

OH....to be that young again!

7 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

But, where do your cars go?

Sounds like a great set-up!    I have no band....just me..... I used to get with my BIL and my brother about once a month to jam....but my brother moved to the Reno area and my BIL/Sister moved to Sacramento....so  now it's just me.   You've seen the baby grand piano...I also keep an old upright in the family room.   I've had this piano since 1976....and it was nearly 100 years old when I got it, (1872).   The grandkids like to run from one piano to the other!

A couple of photos of the piano....one is recent (maybe a year ago), the other is 46 years ago.

311434716_3270842039795716_3670403865131297454566_1323080968430950_6914715334657

OH....to be that young again!

I dig that Piano! Oh… to be that young again! I hear you!

In the Garage I have aprox 30 ft of floor to ceiling built in Cabinets, along the wall entering the house, for all kinds of storage.. The middle of that wall there is a 8 ft built desk for Recording gear, Mixer & PA Mixer.. On the side wall of the One Car Garage are several Amps, PA Monitors, Mic Stands & other misc Live gear.. I can still park my ‘05 Corvette in the 1 Car Garage.. My Truck & my wife’s Car fit in the 2 Car Garage with no problem.. Our Drummer doesn’t leave his Drums.. Guitars are stored in the house.. It works good for Band rehearsals & occasional performances for the neighborhood.. Just back out the Cars & play.. Gigs are something else…

I don’t know how to post Pics or home Videos.. 

15 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I dig that Piano! Oh… to be that young again! I hear you!

In the Garage I have aprox 30 ft of floor to ceiling built in Cabinets, along the wall entering the house, for all kinds of storage.. The middle of that wall there is a 8 ft built desk for Recording gear, Mixer & PA Mixer.. On the side wall of the One Car Garage are several Amps, PA Monitors, Mic Stands & other misc Live gear.. I can still park my ‘05 Corvette in the 1 Car Garage.. My Truck & my wife’s Car fit in the 2 Car Garage with no problem.. Our Drummer doesn’t leave his Drums.. Guitars are stored in the house.. It works good for Band rehearsals & occasional performances for the neighborhood.. Just back out the Cars & play.. Gigs are something else…

I don’t know how to post Pics or home Videos.. 

Lars, I'd love to see it!

I'd also love to see the 'Vette, (I am, after all, a 'car-guy'!).

You know, there were hundreds and hundreds of piano manufacturers over the years.... and that old piano is a Carl Ronisch made in Dresden, Germany, (one of the main targets of British & American bombing during WWII).    I was surprised to learn they're still in business, still making pianos!