Gibson Brands Forums

46-47 J-45 Script Logo - Lucky Find

MegaGainz

I go estate sale shopping a lot and was lucky enough to find this old Gibson.  I purchased it without knowing much about it other than I wanted it and loved it's sound even with the dead strings. 

Came home and started looking things up and realized there was no serial number in there which I guess isn't uncommon for this particular guitar. 

Only found one online that matched the description and is listed for sale at the moment... Is this an insane value on this guitar or is this accurate?

https://bit.ly/3VnEvdk

Anyhow attached are a few pics I took of her.  Has one small crack coming up the front, but other than that it looks great for it's age and plays well. Not sure if I have the original case, but it definitely has age to it. 

310845646_1435873420240688_1275144367041547649_n.jpg

The first pic has an angle that makes it look smaller than a J, but I can't tell.  Maybe a L? 

If lower bout width is full 16", then you have a J.  I don't know about 10K, but you should be pinching yourself and hoping you don't wake up.

I think that's the definitive info I needed.  It's and LG1 - ladder bracing from what it looks like in there. 

Been trying to find a good image of the innards from  LG2 and LG1 from the era but keep finding what I would have thought was an lg1 listed as an lg2.

https://reverb.com/item/10641446-1946-script-logo-gibson-lg-2-demo-added

Like this guitar seems to have the same bracing as mine without being able to see further down in there.  Been looking at it based on this comparison article:

https://reverb.com/news/ladder-bracing-vs-x-bracing-hear-the-difference

Edited by MegaGainz

Ya, Im a bit confused about that.  Could be that the one ad i sent is just misrepresented.  Issue I am running into is that I can't find a single example of a 46-47 (script logo) LG-1 anywhere.  Have found a couple descriptions about the differences but nothing that helps me really identify the model with 100% certainty.  Maybe it's just a rare one-off no one's ever seen before... wouldn't that be sweet haha.

Well, that visible confirmation of the bracing configuration would seal the deal either way.  If it's ladder braced it's no LG2, although there was a specific Banner period where Gibson built a few Xbraced guitar called LG1.

If you play it and like it, not intending to sell, then just enjoy it.  It could probably use a set up to make it easier to fret.  Hopefully not needing a neck reset to lower the action.  That's expensive.

Edited by jedzep

Just to check if we're on the same page, when we say x-bracing we are talking about the underside of the top, not the backside of the guitar.

You should be able to feel the V shape just inside the sound hole toward the bridge

Here's a picture of a 1942 LG1 with X-bracing. The only year they made the LG1 as an X brace even though they were shipped throughout the war era.

Underneath

That's exactly the info that I needed!  Was definitely looking at things wrong as I was looking at the back of the guitar.

It is in fact an X brace then.  Sorry everyone... newbee over here.  So given that it's X brace, gold script logo, I think means it's a 1946-1947 LG-2.  Really appreciate all the solid information.

In the case is a brace from the inside of the guitar that Im guessing became unglued when the cracking started happening to the front.  Will probably look at getting that and the crack fixed up.  Can anyone give me an idea of what estimated cost to get a 6inch crack cleated?

As far as playing it goes though I can't notice a single issue with it.  The action feels smooth and low so I don't think there are any neck issues with it.  Holds notes perfectly fine and resonates well.

And yes, while I enjoy playing the guitar, I'm definitely more of a random strummer than I am a musician.  I'll probably keep it a while and have the crack fixed, but given that it's more of a collectors guitar I would feel a little guilty keeping it.  Having said that, I've said that about a lot of things I've thought I may someday sell and never do haha.

Congratulations!  Good thing Dave revisited and caught the confusion.  That's a sweet little guitar, running in the vintage price realms above 3K these days.  Nevertheless, since you have a center seam top crack forming on a burst top, it's important you seek out an experienced vintage Gibson restoration guy, so the guitar doesn't devalue.   How sturdy AND how visible the repair is may affect it's worth.  Typically, the guitar will be kept in a humidified room to help rejoin the seam naturally, then the repair will be made.  Let us know what part of the country you're in and folks here can find you a Gibson vintage luthier. 

I'm within an hour or so from a couple good ones.   Might be a couple hundred bucks to do it right.  Meanwhile, you might want to buy an in case humidifier system to keep the crack stable, or have an experienced repair shop simply put a temp stop cleat or two underneath if you feel it will take long to find the right luthier.  Also, I'd recommend light (10-47) strings until repaired, or slack tuning, or better yet taking the strings off until repaired.   With a missing brace, depending on where it was, the tension could cause top distortion

Having owned a couple early 50's LG2's, I'm a big fan.  

Dave

Edited by jedzep