Gibson Brands Forums

Another post about strings

EdgarHF

I play a J-45 and am still using .012 gauge strings. I play fingerstyle (I am hopeless with a pick). I also play hard on the strings. I am thinking of going to a heavier gauge string. What affect will a heavier gauge have on the guitar. Any recommendations?

I play a J-45 and am still using .012 gauge strings. I play fingerstyle (I am hopeless with a pick). I also play hard on the strings. I am thinking of going to a heavier gauge string. What affect will a heavier gauge have on the guitar. Any recommendations?

The increased tension in going to a medium gauge string will create more relief in the neck which can be countered by a small tweak to the truss rod. Watch that the strings don't bind in the nut slots as well (you'll hear the 'ping' when you tune). Most nuts are cut to accommodate light and medium strings.

Go for it and see how it feels.

i recently did this on my southern jumbo (same guitar basically). i split my time about 50/50 between pick and fingers. with both styles i noticed more volume, and more fullness. it was great. i of course did have to get used to playing the heavier strings.... give it time and don't give up too quickly. you will get used to the extra tension.

so, i loved it and all was well. then i ran out of 13s. i had a set of 12s laying around and i threw them on. wow, what a let down. i had liked the 12s to start with, but after hearing the 13s for a while i couldn't stand the 12s. the just weren't as full, weren't as smooth, and had an odd midrange too them.

it's funny how you can be happy with one thing, then try something else and switch back to the first only to find you don't like it anymore!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I should have said earlier that reason I want to change string weights is strictly experimental. I have had this particular guitar 2 years now and to want try different setups and see what kind of sounds I can get out that sound box. At present this J-45 is best sounding guitar I have ever owned. It is the best feeling guitar too (I love the short neck).

Archived