Gibson Brands Forums

SJ-200 Western Classic Deluxe electronics?

travelerj71

Does that model offer Electronics? That one & the Pe War look like the only SJ200’s that come with Ebony Fretboards… I would expect a Guitar in that Price range to offer more models with Ebony Fretboards… Nothing against Rosewood but I too would prefer Ebony on a $6000.00+ Guitar

Over twenty-five years ago Martin started going with what has commonly been called "striped ebony" on certain guitars which was distinguished from the higher quality wood by its not being uniformly jet black.  But while it may be a lesser quality wood, I, however, like the look of the color variations on the boards.    

Edited by zombywoof

I have run across an SJ200 Western Classic and an SJ200 Deluxe but not a guitar with that particular combination of designations in the model name.  Then again, I have not purchased a new guitar in over 45 years so have not been paying a ton of attention to what was out there.  

Returning to fingerboards though, I guess I am not all that picky.  My only quirks are I do not like the feel of Richlite (too glassy) and remain skeptical of how well walnut boards will hold up because I have seen Braz rosewood boards after 50 or so years of playing with divots the size of Crater Lake.  I do admit though the ebony boards on my 1920 L3 and my wife's 1960 J200 look pretty flippin' classy.  

4 hours ago, travelerj71 said:

Is that specific SJ-200 offered with acoustic sound electronics? Mic, preamp, pickup?

The 90s ones didnt have a pickup. 

I think all the Newer models do. Unless there historic reissues of certain models.   

25 minutes ago, travelerj71 said:

Thank you 

The New Western Classics & the Pre War models do not have Pickups.. The rest of the SJ200 models have Pickups.

The Western Classics & Pre War  do have Ebony Fretboards unlike the rest of the new SJ200 Models. Which are mostly Rosewood..

If I were to get an SJ-200 I would want the L.R. Baggs Electronics as well as an Ebony Fretboard.. Looks like I’m safe for now! But, you know Gibson, they’re always making changes…

Edited by Larsongs

I do not know if the Bozeman guitars have retained this feature but the Kalamazoo-made J200s had tall finger braces around the soundhole rather than popsicle braces.  Because of this my wife could not go with her first pickup choice for her 1960 J200.  The one she originally picked out would have necessitated at least shaving those braces down flat.  Not only was she unwilling to do this but the luthier doing the installation also recommended against it.  Again, though I do not have a clue whether the Bozeman versions sport this feature or not.  But if they do and you buy one it is something you should factor in when choosing a pickup system. 

11 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I do not know if the Bozeman guitars have retained this feature but the Kalamazoo-made J200s had tall finger braces around the soundhole rather than popsicle braces.  Because of this my wife could not go with her first pickup choice for her 1960 J200.  The one she originally picked out would have necessitated at least shaving those braces down flat.  Not only was she unwilling to do this but the luthier doing the installation also recommended against it.  Again, though I do not have a clue whether the Bozeman versions sport this feature or not.  But if they do and you buy one it is something you should factor in when choosing a pickup system. 

If your refering to the shark teeth. Yes. Bozeman  did those. All mine from the 90s have those.    

• 2 months later...