Gibson Brands Forums

New Tuners on SWD?

nid2007

Does anyone have experience with changing the tuners on a Songwriter? I'd love to change out these big gold grovers. It is my favorite all-around guitar, but I hate the look of these big heavy machines.

I don't want to adversely impact sound and tone though. That is my #1 consideration.

Does anyone have experience with changing the tuners on a Songwriter? I'd love to change out these big gold grovers. It is my favorite all-around guitar' date=' but I hate the look of these big heavy machines.

I don't want to adversely impact sound and tone though. That is my #1 consideration. [/quote']

I have replaced the Grovers on my J-45 with Ivoroid button Waverlies. They are very expensive but worth every penny if your guitar is a keeper. They are easy to install in the Grover holes; just make sure you get the conversion bushings like the ones that Stewart McDonald sells.

They are much, much lighter than the Grovers- which improved both the feel and the tone of the guitar.

I've also heard good things about the Gotoh open tuners, but I haven't tried them.

I personally don't like those Grovers either. To my eye they look too big and clunky. Like asmith I replaced the stock tuners (Klusons, I think, with the greenish "tulip" or "keystone" buttons) on my J-100 with Waverlys. Here's a shot of the headstock with the new machines:

227555ef01.jpg

They are expensive, but worth it to me.

I have replaced the Grovers on my J-45 with Ivoroid button Waverlies. They are very expensive but worth every penny if your guitar is a keeper. They are easy to install in the Grover holes; just make sure you get the conversion bushings like the ones that Stewart McDonald sells.

They are much' date=' much lighter than the Grovers- which improved both the feel and the tone of the guitar.

I've also heard good things about the Gotoh open tuners, but I haven't tried them.[/quote']

What's the difference in tone using Ivoroid button Waverlies ?

What about those Gibson Deluxe tuners sold at the GC' date=' with the plastic keystone? Are they bad? I like the look of them, and they seem to work fine on my Gospel.[/quote']

The Deluxe are excellent, look great, are cost effective ($40), and easy to install. You need to drill a second hole above each tuner for mounting, then put the Rotos on eBay and you'll probably break even.

I know that tere are differing views on this, but I just can't see tuners making much difference in tone or volume.

As a quicker and cheaper alternative' date=' I replaced the gold Grover buttons on my SWDC with ebony buttons. It took substantial amount of weight off the headstock and the I really like the look.[/quote']

Gotta pic?

I don't recall where I bought these. They are shaped like Schallers but fit the Grover tuners. I'll try to find a link for them.

DJ

2487828530047414145vuDUsH_th.jpg

Nice. I've found a place that sells them. Do you happen to know whether the mini's fit?

I love ebony knobs (I have them on my Larrivee L05) but the Schaller shape just looks wrong to me on a Gibson headstock. I don't know why. Keystones or Grovers even Imperials for my taste.

I'd love to have a guitar that could live up to a set of those Imperials. Like this one:

g400jv_lg.jpg

What about those Gibson Deluxe tuners sold at the GC' date=' with the plastic keystone? Are they bad? I like the look of them, and they seem to work fine on my Gospel.[/quote']

I have heard bad things about the Gibson Deluxe tuners, but I have had them on two guitars and was very happy with them. I love the look of them on my HBA, and it keeps a tune as good or better than any other accoustic I have played. Not changing mine anytime soon.

Archived