Gibson Brands Forums

Low fret question

EddieNYC

On 1/8/2023 at 8:57 AM, Eracer_Team said:

I disagree with having the pickups as close as you can without hitting the strings,

the magnetic field of the pickups effect the strings,

as close as you can will create a very loud output which Will probably not be a desirable tone,

also pickups too close cause a wobbling sound as well, 

many lower the pickups as low as possible 

I agree~. But depends on what your after. All personel choice. I want the cruch sound that a pick makes when striking a string. Like stealy dan stuff. The old school rock crunch typically found w a gibby and fender amp. I get that by setting the pups close. But! I do get the wobble. Spot on there sir. And thats just on my SG STD. Others, not so close. So.....

Edit,

Down side, if one wants to remove any pup plating, set em high. Happen real quick.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1

Stu Mac supply has most guitar  work tools and supplies,,my brother builds guitars and he has many fret dressing / leveling tools  and the like,,and with a bit of  motivation and some Youtube vids on fret work  I bet you could do it yourself!   I do most all my fret work,,aside from actually  installing in the neck.   One way of "seeing" what your neck is doing is to ,  "sightline"  from the back of guitar,,hold the gtr flat{ string side up}   And  look  from behind the bridge looking tword the peghead,,and look at the relationship between the straight line of the strings ,,compared to what the fingerboard  edges  are,,.  You can see if your neck is twisted,,bowed,  sometimes you can see some frets are just a bit higher  or lower than others,,,or may just need a truss rod  adjustment.   Ive fixed alot of fret buzzing/action problems just by doing a truss rod adjust.  And as far as how close the PU's are to strings,,I like mine as close as possible,,but not the strings making contact to them while playing,,and thats all I need for what I do.