Gibson Brands Forums

Low fret question

EddieNYC

I have a few Gibson electrics and most seem to have a fret height that is 4.5, and one is slightly taller - maybe 5.0-5.5.

My question is my 2019 - by design - came with “low profile” frets that I think are 3.5 tall.  I used to not notice the smaller height at first but am noticing it more now.  I’m debating about a re-fret even though it’s expensive and they are perfect.  I’m not a lead player by any stretch, does this seem like overkill?   I’m assuming that if there were more advantages to shorter vs taller frets Gibson would be using them all over the place, just not one time 3-4 years ago.

any thoughts?  Thank you.

Eddie

1 minute ago, Eracer_Team said:

Gibson has one Major problem. 
guitar players.

if they used a fret wire back xyz year and then change, players are up in arms, 

it’s not right

its not tradition

etc

just make sure you don’t have any high frets to cause buz or fret out

Thanks - I could really care less about tradition or what was used in the 50s etc.   for me I just noticed feeling the fret board more with the low frets since I’ve been playing more with the higher frets where it hasn’t been the case.

I hear you though!

Fret height,  yep, I think it's a big deal

Sold a gorgeous 57 time machine strat b/c I hated the vintage frets.  with the laqured maple neck, and those small frets, good luck bending notes in the summer when it is warm out and yer schvitching.. 

While I'm sure it was "historically" correct, wasn't right for me,  so much for tradition.

If you don't want to sell it..  why not make it "right" for your hands?  (provided you have a trusty worth person to refret it..)

Edited by kidblast

Customs  were "Fretless Wonder"s in the 70's.  Skinny low frets.  I didn't like them at all.  Trade it for a different Les Paul.  Somebody wants those low frets and there are lots of guitars without them.  Win Win.

rct

18 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I've only had one guitar that I refretted simply because the frets were low (and no other problems). A late 70s Hofner acoustic. Refretted it with normal wire. Best move I could have made to help that guitar play well.

il_fullxfull.1630902933_cmhc.jpg

Exerpt that tabbo.

Thanks everyone.  I just dropped it off for a normal 6 month setup (I really do need to learn to do that myself) and I’m going to hold off and just play all 3 for the next 6 months or so to see if I feel any differently when the Explorer isn’t quite so new and a focal point for me.

If I do it down the road I’ve already found out who the best guy is in my area.  He’s more expensive but he’s worked on guitars for Ace Frehley and a bunch of other well known players so i’’d imagine the referrals are on target..

On 12/17/2022 at 12:03 PM, EddieNYC said:

Thanks everyone.  I just dropped it off for a normal 6 month setup (I really do need to learn to do that myself) and I’m going to hold off and just play all 3 for the next 6 months or so to see if I feel any differently when the Explorer isn’t quite so new and a focal point for me.

If I do it down the road I’ve already found out who the best guy is in my area.  He’s more expensive but he’s worked on guitars for Ace Frehley and a bunch of other well known players so i’’d imagine the referrals are on target..

I'd definitely be going with the guy with the best rep.

Good luck with the refret!  hopefully it makes it a top player for you.

• 2 weeks later...

My 74 LPCBB 20TH had those low *wide frets. I really liked them. At the time I did a lot of slide playing. But only had one guit. Ended up being very good at head bang rock and slide w/o having to change any set up. The low frets help avoid fret knock.

Hope yur guit isnt bound. Getting one of those re-fretted, I understand, can be problematic and pricey.

Edited by CROWB8

10 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

My 74 LPCBB 20TH had those low *wide frets. I really liked them. At the time I did a lot of slide playing. But only had one guit. Ended up being very good at head bang rock and slide w/o having to change any set up. The low frets help avoid fret knock.

Hope yur guit isnt bound. Getting one of those re-fretted, I understand, can be problematic and pricey.

Yeah it has binding!    I had it setup in D Standard and have gotten hooked on learning some more songs in that tuning and just haven’t noticed it as much lately.    I’m definitely kicking the can down the road on a refret right now.  Still May do it at some point but I’m having fun playing it again!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EddieNYC said:

Yeah it has binding!    I had it setup in D Standard and have gotten hooked on learning some more songs in that tuning and just haven’t noticed it as much lately.    I’m definitely kicking the can down the road on a refret right now.  Still May do it at some point but I’m having fun playing it again!

Might wanna do a little research bout the trials and tribulations of refretting a bound gibson. 

https://www.bing.com/search?q=refretting+a+gibson+with+binding+and+nibs&PC=U316&FORM=CHROMN

On some there are "nibs" that protrude at each end of a fret under that binding. Thats where it starts being problematic for the luthier and the bank account. Just removing a fret can harm binding. Issues w no nib frets cause depressions in the binding once set. Have read some horror stories bout that. Be it poor luthier or what not.

Edited by CROWB8

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a  "fret leveling"  job maybe in order,,as far as height,,it depends on how aggressive you play,,you dont want the strings to hit the  PU's while playing,,but at the same time you want them as close to the strings as possible,,so its a balancing act of sorts

• Like 1

Agree with @10K-DB a dressing is simple, less expensive option that should be explored.  But, if I do a Gibson binding-involved refret, lose the nibs...  It's not worth the cost to keep them - and people who do this kind of work typically don't like doing the job to keep that crappy bump at the fret end.  In a perfect world, I'd say keep them, but significantly complicates the job.  And for what?  But each and to their own, you may feel it is necessary, have the funds, and know a guy that can do some exceptional work - because that's what it will take to do this right.  Good luck! 

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 10K-DB said:

,,but at the same time you want them as close to the strings as possible,,so its a balancing act of sorts

I disagree with having the pickups as close as you can without hitting the strings,

the magnetic field of the pickups effect the strings,

as close as you can will create a very loud output which Will probably not be a desirable tone,

also pickups too close cause a wobbling sound as well, 

many lower the pickups as low as possible 

I've had many guitars refretted with no issues.  Even with binding. Luthier I use is Jamonn Zeiler in Indiana. I use him for everything. I even have one of his guitars. He usually charges about $180.

He does a lot of them in between building guitars.

I’m still leaning against this, but I have a cost question.   The guy who apparently is the guy to go to near me ball parked the cost at $550-600 before tax.   Is that the norm?  I was expecting $300-400.   The guitar cost me $1100 new when I got it in 2019, and I love the neck and think of it as a keeper.   Is that cost kind of nuts?