Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L-48 tailpiece buzzing

mralpaca

Hello! I am the new owner of a 62 Gibson L-48, I'm really enjoying this thing and is actually the first nicer acoustic I've ever owned. The tailpiece is buzzing, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any common issues with noise in the tailpiece and how to fix it. Thank you! 

While I have owned Gibson archtops. I am certainly no expert on them.  If the noise is coming from the butt end of the guitar and assuming it is not something like a loose brace and the bridge is properly fitted and positioned, what I would do first is to slip a piece of felt or something in between the tailpiece and the top where they are the closest just to see if the buzz stops.  If it does then you know the problem is the tailpiece making contact with the top.  From that point on though you are on your own as I don't build them I only play them.  But needless to say the shape of the arched top does change over the years which can be the source of the issue.

Edited by zombywoof

33 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

While I have owned Gibson archtops. I am certainly no expert on them.  If the noise is coming from the butt end of the guitar and assuming it is not something like a loose brace and the bridge is properly fitted and positioned, what I would do first is to slip a piece of felt or something in between the tailpiece and the top where they are the closest just to see if the buzz stops.  If it does then you know the problem is the tailpiece making contact with the top.  From that point on though you are on your own as I don't build them I only play them.  But needless to say the shape of the arched top does change over the years which can be the source of the issue.

As above!

Also....are the string ball ends  right up snug in their slots on the tailpiece....not loose either?

Probably a trip to the luthier for a look would be nice...give a full checkup and ease your mind as well.....

BluesKing777.

I agree with KSdaddy in that the most common culprits when it comes to annoying noises have been the tuners, an uneven fret, or not enough relief in the neck.

I recall seeing L48s hanging on music shop walls in the early-1960s.  Not knowing much about them though I went and looked at the 1960 catalog.  This is the only archtop listed which sported a laminate top and back.  In the description Gibson touted the strength of the laminate so it might well have been they saw these as beginner archtops and as such instruments which were more likely to be subjected to somewhat less than careful handling and care.  But back then even the relatively low price tag of just under $130 might as well have been a million bucks.

Edited by zombywoof