Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 1936 Advanced Jumbo

Twi

Normally I hang out over at UMGF but I picked up this AJ in a trade last week.   All I can say is wow.  If one is looking for a loud, responsive easy playing guitar this is it.  Very balanced across all strings with more than enough bass to satisfy my Martin addled brain.  Sometimes the best deals are those you stumble into.  I’ve had Gibsons previously but for me this is on another level.  I’ve moved a couple J-45s and a Collings CJ-45T and had more or less decided slope shouldered dreads weren’t for me…This AJ begs to differ and who am I to argue?

• Like 2

The AJ may be begging to differ, , ,  but this thread begs for pics.

Congrats

Wow -- that is cool.  And brave.

If you hang out on the UMGF, you may know I have been beating that drum for maybe 15 years -- albeit about old and not new AJs and other golden era (1935-1943) RW Gibsons.  I have only played two new ones (reissues after 1990) enough to judge.  One was an odd one, owned my Michael Fuller of Fuller Guitars and used as his main BG guitar:  a1995 model in BRW with a 1 3/4 neck.  The astute historian will note that neither  of those features actually match the 1930s guitars.  The other was one of Little Roy's guitars.  That one had a ware hole in the top -- obviously played in.  Both were great guitars.

You will probably not get the respect you deserve in a BG jam session.  If you walk up to a Jam with a 30's herringbone, people spot it.  If you do that with 30s AJ, someone will say "my Dad had a J-45 just like that."  IME, that on lasts (for my 36 AJ) until the first G chord.

I must also say, I have not run into a new AJ in a bluegrass session that I remember -- and I have played in 1-5 of those a week for over 30 years.  May well be a case of people hearing with their eyes, but my experience with modern ones is not extensive enough to have a firm opinion. 

I'd love to hear of your adventures -- here on the wild side😎.

All the best,

-Tom

1 hour ago, tpbiii said:

Wow -- that is cool.  And brave.

If you hang out on the UMGF, you may know I have been beating that drum for maybe 15 years -- albeit about old and not new AJs and other golden era (1935-1943) RW Gibsons.  I have only played two new ones (reissues after 1990) enough to judge.  One was an odd one, owned my Michael Fuller of Fuller Guitars and used as his main BG guitar:  a1995 model in BRW with a 1 3/4 neck.  The astute historian will note that neither  of those features actually match the 1930s guitars.  The other was one of Little Roy's guitars.  That one had a ware hole in the top -- obviously played in.  Both were great guitars.

You will probably not get the respect you deserve in a BG jam session.  If you walk up to a Jam with a 30's herringbone, people spot it.  If you do that with 30s AJ, someone will say "my Dad had a J-45 just like that."  IME, that on lasts (for my 36 AJ) until the first G chord.

I must also say, I have not run into a new AJ in a bluegrass session that I remember -- and I have played in 1-5 of those a week for over 30 years.  May well be a case of people hearing with their eyes, but my experience with modern ones is not extensive enough to have a firm opinion. 

I'd love to hear of your adventures -- here on the wild side😎.

All the best,

-Tom

I have a 2003 AJ made with Adi and BRW. Also have a CS D28 with Adi top, Adi scalloped braces forward shifted, IRW b/s. Most would probably be surprised at the similarities in sound between those two and the AJ would never be considered a BG instrument here in North Carolina.