Gibson Brands Forums

Willis Alan Ramsey

Buc McMaster

For those of you not fortunate enough to be from Texas, Willis Alan will be a treat indeed! His one and only album (and it was an album) was released in 1972 on Leon Russell's Shelter label and is a classic of Americana music. The Captain & Teneille (sp?) had a hit with his Muskrat Love but Willis' original recording stands head and shoulders above the radio release. I don't even know if his self-titled album is still available, but you can get a taste on his myspace page, Willis Alan. Listen to Angel Eyes, my pick for the greatest love song ever written. The slick humor in Satin Sheets and Northeast Texas Women. This man could turn a phase like few could then or can today, and his voice and guitar fit his writing perfectly. I think his guitar of choice was a Martin D18, but who cares! With songs like these who needs a guitar! Give him a listen!

(maybe this post is in the wrong forum.....move it where you will........but listen to this man's songs!)

"praise the lord and pass the mescaline" thanx buc that was a real treat...very soulful voice...great writer too. i am amazed at all the music thats out there and has been there...and we don't know about...and then we discover it and it's like wow....wheres this been....ronnie

Buc - thanks for the great post.

Willis is yet another one of my favorite Texas singer-songwriters, and also provided my wife and I with many fond memories during our time spent in Texas. The first time we caught Willis live was out in Luckenbach, and he put on a wonderful show. We also got to see Willis play many times around Austin. Got to chat with him quite a few times, he's a really humble, down-to-earth guy. He has written plenty of great songs since his only album - too bad he never released a follow-up recording. I know that Lyle Lovett has recorded a number of his tunes and recorded with him. I'm pretty sure that Eric Clapton has covered at least one of the tunes that Willis has yet to record himself - "Positively".

Back in the 90's Willis actually played a vintage slope-shouldered Gibson (I believe that it was an old J-45). I can remember him actually rambling on about it a few times between songs, going on about how old guitars had more soul, etc., etc.. He was also sporting an old steel resonator guitar at the time. By the last time we caught him live he had switched over the the Martin, but he still sounded great.

Interestingly, I was first turned onto Willis Alan Ramsey by Roy Book Binder who was doing a cover of Willis' "Watermelon Man".

All the best,

Guth

Yeah' date=' used to see Willis all the time at the Saxon Pub when I lived in Austin. Fond memories- music, beer, and late-night tamale vendors. Yum.[/quote']

That's pretty scary cause I saw him at the Saxon as well when I lived in Austin. What years did you live there? We may have been there at the same time as I used to be there a lot. A lot.

Archived