Gibson Brands Forums

Lacquer Checking

Hype

22 minutes ago, 62burst said:

'Hate to say it, but the reflection shown in that last photo would usually be typical of a guitar that was dry. The finish has sunken into the grain- if you were to lightly brush your fingernails across the grain, it would make a whirring sound. Totally reversible on a new guitar. Most likely a combination of things- the volatility of a new nitro finish, a black finish, humidity swings, and Gibson's response to an interest in thinner finishes.

I agree. I do think the color black is a very unforgiving color. I’ve seen some translucent Ebony finishes on Gibson’s that give off the same appearance at the retail store (which were well humidified). My hygrometer reads 48 so I believe I’m within the right conditions and I also have a humidifier..

• 2 weeks later...

From the pictures you all have posted (beautiful guitars!) it looks like Gibson is shipping with much taller saddles than they were when i bought my couple around 2008. I wonder if they changed their neck angle or just started tightening up the QC process.

7 hours ago, jchabalk said:

From the pictures you all have posted (beautiful guitars!) it looks like Gibson is shipping with much taller saddles than they were when i bought my couple around 2008. I wonder if they changed their neck angle or just started tightening up the QC process.

I have to agree. My 2009 J-200 had a much lower saddle than compared to my 2016 Hummingbird Vintage and 2023 Gibson Elvis Presley Dove..

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. Picked up a new Gibson EP Dove today. The dealer had a new one shipped. No lacquer/possible top crack. However, Gibson QC department needs to do better. The top of the neck closer to the body could’ve been buffed out a little more as the usual haze/swirl marks were present (no this is not a display model, came straight from the factory). Also a tiny bump nick is present but you’d really have to be looking for it and under certain lighting (most likely caused at the factory). And finally the binding on the heel cap could’ve been scrapped a bit better as there is a tiny bit of black paint on it. I’m not normally this nit picky, but again I did not purchase and Murphy Lab so it should be pristine condition considering it is brand new.

Edited by Hype

12 hours ago, Hype said:

Just an update. Picked up a new Gibson EP Dove today. The dealer had a new one shipped. No lacquer/possible top crack. However, Gibson QC department needs to do better. The top of the neck closer to the body could’ve been buffed out a little more as the usual haze/swirl marks were present (no this is not a display model, came straight from the factory). Also a tiny bump nick is present but you’d really have to be looking for it and under certain lighting (most likely caused at the factory). And finally the binding on the heel cap could’ve been scrapped a bit better as there is a tiny bit of black paint on it. I’m not normally this nit picky, but again I did not purchase and Murphy Lab so it should be pristine condition considering it is brand new.

And from your more recent post  -  apparently there was some sort of a tag on the case certifying it had been inspected by  "Inspector #2'.    Strange series of events...

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

And from your more recent post  -  apparently there was some sort of a tag on the case certifying it had been inspected by  "Inspector #2'.    Strange series of events...

Definitely something weird going on…Wish someone knew what the tag meant?