Gibson Brands Forums

Greetings

ScottM65

I’m a new Gibson owner after a nearly 30 year hiatus.  Recent purchase of cherry ES335 got me back in the game.  

I’m a retired college professor, now working part-time at Moore Guitars in southern Indiana.  I still love studying guitar.  Have had a few articles published over the years and keep a YouTube site of videos sharing what I’ve discovered.  

VERY happy to have a Gibson, again.  

Cheers!

Scott Mercer

Edited by ScottM65

Hi Scott and welcome

You will find quite a few of us here are retired or near it....! 

To post pics - we all upload to any free image hosting site (imgur, postimage etc) and paste  the direct link code into our posts - hope that makes sense.  

What sort of things are on your youtube then?

Best wishes 🎸

On 3/25/2023 at 3:49 PM, jdgm said:

What sort of things are on your youtube then?

My YouTube page

It’s mostly quick clips of things geared toward my students.  I also have begun studying pedal steel.  My dad was a fantastic steel player, and I avoided that instrument for 55 years, because it was his thing.  When he passed, something clicked, and I realized I was meant to learn how to play that unwieldy machine.  You’ll see a few videos of that stuff.

I do have one clip I did last week with the new 335.   Not my best playing but it’s ok, I guess. 

Scott

That's a very nice version of "Scrapple" -  nice and relaxed.

I learned it in the high register around the 10th fret...having seen your version I am also going to get it down low.

Regards

[thumbup]🎸

Edited by jdgm

You

On 4/3/2023 at 3:55 PM, jdgm said:

Scott

That's a very nice version of "Scrapple" -  nice and relaxed.

I learned it in the high register around the 10th fret...having seen your version I am also going to get it down low.

Regards

[thumbup]🎸

Thanks!  I like playing it up the neck better.  For some reason I discovered that it was easier to play some of the  chords between  phrases with the melody an octave lower.  

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2023 at 2:09 AM, ScottM65 said:

I’m a new Gibson owner after a nearly 30 year hiatus.  Recent purchase of cherry ES335 got me back in the game.  

I’m a retired college professor, now working part-time at Moore Guitars in southern Indiana.   I still love studying guitar.  Have had a few articles published over the years and keep a YouTube site of videos sharing what I’ve discovered.  Not much time is left for hobbies. However, some services, such as https://fixgerald.com/, can make my work much easier. I check my students' papers for plagiarism through this service and it is very fast. If you need to check a research paper (and not only) for plagiarism, I recommend this service!

VERY happy to have a Gibson, again.  

Cheers!

Scott Mercer

Welcome to the forum! I'm very glad that there are such educated and nice people here! 

Edited by Erin_Jacob