Gibson Brands Forums

I need help with identifying this guitar

thehunterofchan

My great grandpa bought this guitar in the early 1940's. It has a gibson stamp on the head but it's unlikely anything I've ever seen. Guitar center did a lot of repairs and actually kept it for 8 months, they valued it at around 5k but they never actually told us if it was real or fake. Not trying to sell by the way, just curious. 

20230425_032359.jpg

20230425_032350.jpg

Well that is certainly a curious one…the neck looks to have been changed at some point (different headstock shape, obviously different logo, truss rod is further away from the nut than usual) and the bridge has certainly been changed (the pyramid shouldered bridge is not a Gibson design, was common to early Martins and Chicago built instruments such as Lyon & Healy, Washburn etc), but the body looks like a ‘40s-ish J50. Intriguing instrument! Do you have any more history on it?

Regarding the body, the first thing I would do is look inside.  If the original neck block remains there will be a stamped FON on it.  If you can make it out (which is not always the case) it will date the body.  Regarding any modifications such as the possible addition of a short saddle bridge just do a search for whatever year the guitar turns out to be and compare features.

Edited by zombywoof