Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement saddles 1994 Flying V

Vlying F

Hi

I'm trying to find replacement saddles for my 1994 Flying V.

I've seen a few saddles being sold for pre-2000 Nashville bridges which put doubt into my mind about what saddles might be compatible with the bridge on the V.

Ideally I'd like to get Gibson replacements. The guitar is killer, I don't want to change the formula if possible. Do Gibson sell replacements?

Thanks

I don’t know about saddles since these parts are generally intended to be in the spot they are in. Basically they are each different because of neck radius. I’ve never seen Gibson sell individual saddles for their bridges they use on their guitars. 

I have seen a whole Nashville or ABR bridge set sold that is Gibson brand but again, have to know how to make the markings on the saddles for proper string spacing as these come with no slot whatsoever on them. It’s not the most difficult thing to make slots on these, but probably want someone who works good on guitars a lot to do this just because… the part isn’t cheap. Check out like Guitar Center or the like to find these - Sweetwater another option. 

I’ve seen “tone pros” or something like that that might be a non-Gibson option. They have nylon saddles or something like that which might be interesting - never tried these before. Check out stewmac. 

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I've cut bridge saddles a couple of times. Once on a new unslotted ones and once to reposition string spacing. I have more do too. I used nut files and a lot of patience. 

I also did this procedure, it really takes up a lot of time, it would be very nice to find a person who deals with this personally.

The LP DC Standard came to me with the G slot much too deep. I ended up buying a whole new bridge. On the next string change I'll try to recut the old bridge saddles to match the G. Nothing to lose there.

The HRFiii is nearly perfect, but could be better. The two E slots are slightly too deep. I'll try to remedy that with the next string change too.

Gibson Bridges: Its a design that I don't really like for this precise reason. Most of us have other guitars with individual saddle height adjustment. Tradition can be a PITA. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fine with filing / hammering (like Gibson do) notches in the saddles but can it seriously be true that Gibson don't sell replacement saddles?? A pro, gigging every night will go through a set of saddles every year. There must be a way to get replacements, surely?

Edited by Vlying F