Gibson Brands Forums

L6s deluxe tuners original model?

I posted a couple days ago about paint color on my L6s deluxe (thanks for the replies!) and now that I’m looking it over and fixing some little things I noticed something. The pictures I see online have different tuners. It’s a little hard to tell because I can’t find any good images of a new (deluxe model) guitar in a catalog online and it’s possible other modern photos of vintage guitars have had modifications. 
anyway. My tuners don’t look like the majority I see online. Here’s a pic of mine: 

IMG_0627.jpeg.90f31e6021a5fc9ebae26fc284cf2679.jpeg

they say Gibson on them. Maybe they are original? But I found a vintage replacement parts list and it says this:

IMG_0628.thumb.jpeg.296b713ddd375bf2b770b2f174c49869.jpeg

When I google those parts numbers I see something more like this:

IMG_0630.jpeg.1a39daaa953460da5f3d3df53f081da2.jpeg

some photos online show ivory colored tuner knobs. I’m guessing those may be the original L6s and maybe they were silver colored on the deluxe model? I don’t know..

anyway, I’m getting OCD about this now, but if anyone has a deluxe model and knows for sure they have the original tuning machines I’d love to see what they look like. I have a suspicion mine were replaced at some point. Eventually I’d like to restore it as close as possible to original spec if I can.

There are no hard and fast rules about Gibson. Specs and hardware could (and did) change. I’ll bet if you remove one of those Schallers, you won’t see any extra screw holes underneath. In fact, it would be impossible to switch from the “two screw” ones you have pictured and replace them with the cast body Schallers without having those two screw holes visible. 

• Like 1

These Schaller made tuners were stock on many Gibson models during this time. In my opinion, they are one of the best tuners Gibson used. They do the one thing that a tuner is suppose to do…… stay in tune! I’ve had them on Les Pauls, acoustics etc & never had to replace them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grog said:

These Schaller made tuners were stock on many Gibson models during this time. In my opinion, they are one of the best tuners Gibson used. They do the one thing that a tuner is suppose to do…… stay in tune! I’ve had them on Les Pauls, acoustics etc & never had to replace them.

That's so true. I think the last time i tuned this guitar was like a month ago. On top of that Ive been messing around with this guitar a bit the last week cleaning it, fixing the screws in the pickups and stuff. and the whole time it still sounds mostly in tune (to my ear when im playing alone anyway - i haven't checked it with a tuner the past few weeks).