Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Pickguard Beveling?

GreyGrayDays

Hi - 

I own a 2018 J-45 Standard. I love the guitar but am interested in swapping out the tear drop pickguard for the vintage batwing style. I contacted Gibson to see if I can order one and was told no. I've read good things about the custom pickguards from Terrapin. They offer 45", 30", or NO beveled edging. Does anyone know if the current batwing style pickguards used for the J-45 50's Custom have beveled edging and what option would be closest to factory parts here?

Back when I bought my J-45 Standard the other  'vintage re-release ' model was significantly more expensive and I prefer the rotomatic tuners  on the standard anyway over the white plastic button tuners. I just upgraded the nut, saddle, and bridge pins to bone and was basically there. The newer models of both of these guitars are now the exact same price, but the 50's original now features the batwing style pickguard  I like.  I could just buy one of these newer original models and sell my standard but there's already years of great play on my current one. That makes a difference in tone imo. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by GreyGrayDays

The beveled pickguard is nice. . . especially important when it is one of the thicker pick guards. But it is less of an issue on a thinner p/g. If you were able to get a nice batwing 'guard from a aftermarket supplier, it wouldn't be too much of a chore to bevel, then smooth, the replacement guard down to something that would work for you.

• Like 1