Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Heritage Custom Acoustic Question

TankGibson

Hello everyone! I am considering buying this guitar but was hoping to get some more info before driving 2 hours. It is a Gibson Heritage Custom, owner says he believes is 1976, I have picture of serial number but can't really make it out, there are also a lot of "hairline" cracks as in photo which he states does not affect sound and don't seem to go all the way through in photo. Does anyone know these guitars well and could possibly help with year and if you think these cracks would be detrimental to sound/value? Offer is $750. Thanks! Below is a link to the photos, appreciate any help, thank you!

https://imgur.com/a/UhfWHEl

Not being a fan of these guitars, I have spent virtually no time with one.  But you do not need to have played them to figure out certain things.  According to the Pros from Dover, as example, a six- digit serial number beginning with what looks to be an "8" dates the guitar to between 1973 and 1975.  The features would suggest a 1975 build date.  A guitar built that year though would be indistinguishable from one built in '76, so it is not going to amount to a hill of beans.  

As to the "cracks", they do look to be in the finish.   Easy enough to check by looking under the hood with a light and a mirror.  If is the finish, there will be no impact on sound or structural stability being only about the aesthetics.

Edited by zombywoof

I played one in really good condition several years back. It was a lot more than $750. Not sure what these go for but hopefully the seller is not trying to unload a POS on you that will need lots of money and work to make it playable.

Are Gibson Guitars still Union Made?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

If you look between the tuners on the back of the headstock, you can just make out a "BGN" stamp. It means "bargain". Meaning it did not pass quality control and wasn't good enough to sell to the public. It was most likely sold or given to an employee. On top of that, there also appears to be a "2" stamped. Which means it was a second. I've seen both "BGN and "2" stamps, but never both on the same instrument. Just google "Gibson BGN stamp" and read more about it.

Edit: My brother had an ES-350T that was stamped "BGN". The only flaw I was able to see with that guitar was that there was a small gap where the heel of the neck met the body. It was only on the very bottom. The guitar played and sounded great.

Edited by gearbasher
  • Like 1