Gibson Brands Forums

Fading Nitro, AKA Bludgeoning the Expired Equine

Sinner 13

I would like to offer a definitive answer to those folks who are on the fence about purchasing a 50W 350-400nm range UV lamp in an attempt to fade nitro. I got mine courtesy of Buddy Bezos for under 50 bucks USD. It's branded QUANS.
This thing works so good, as a test I put my transitions lenses in front of it and they darkened up quicker than Zaphod's peril sensitive sun glasses spotting a ravenous bugbladder beast on Traal.
This shot is from my 2022 CS R8 in Bourbon Burst.
It has been tanning for approximately a few hours a night a few days a week since the beginning of November. I was initially using a 4 watt full spectrum reptile bulb with little to no discernable progress. But She spent 4hrs under the new lamp last night, and I think that the photo evidence speaks volumes. So anyone says modern historical finish won't break down under UV is full of nonsense.

UV.jpg

FADE.jpg

Edited by Sinner 13

I had a cherry burst '94 Les Paul Classic Premium Plus. When I purchased it, I told the shop owner that I was going to leave the guitar in a window to fade the burst. He called me a few days later and said he spoke with a Gibson rep. who told him that it wouldn't work because the modern pigments wouldn't fade. Now, I'm sorry I didn't try it.