Gibson Brands Forums

Pick Up In The Beater Guitar (Jubilee)

DanvillRob

I wanted to buy a 1/4" Female jack.... in order to get free shipping, I had to buy another $10 worth of something.

They had Acoustic Guitar pick ups, wired and with the female jack already assembled.   Cost was $5 and some change.....so I bought 2 so I could qualify for free shipping.

The order ended up being $15. (d@mn California Sales Tax!)

The jack hole was already drilled in the guitar from before I bought it (50 years ago).

The new strings cost me $11.

Now, the old beater sounds great AND is electrified!

I'm working on an old Vince Gill song, I think I'll use it when I record it!

The Jubilee Guitar will go to my oldest Grandson along with the Doves In Flight.

• Thanks 1

Okay to borrow another thread title: “you know you are getting old when”  when reading “the jack hole was already drilled int the guitar from before I bought it 50 years ago” your first thought is, “why the heck would someone be drilling jack holes before there were electrified guitars?!”  😆  I know,  I know….back for more coffee….

Edited by PrairieDog

37 minutes ago, Murph said:

What do I get, Grampa?

I have laid out the Acoustic guitars among the three grandkids..... the electrics, amps, mandolin, fiddle, keyboard, pianos and assorted musical gear are totally up to my son, (with a few restrictions).

You'll need to contact him about what he won't have room for.   His new house is not big enough to hold the old antique piano and the baby grand....his old house was too small.  

Now, hopefully I'll hold out 'till the grands are out on their own...and THEY can store the stuff!

48 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Okay to borrow another thread title: “you know you are getting old when”  when reading “the jack hole was already drilled int the guitar from before I bought it 50 years ago” your first thought is, “why the heck would someone be drilling jack holes before there were electrified guitars?!”  😆  I know,  I know….back for more coffee….

I don't know why someone drilled a hole in the bottom of the bass bout.... but it's always been there.....maybe that was before someone thought of running the pick up jack out the strap pin hole.    The Jubilee was bought back in 1971 or 1972....right after I got out of the Army and was working and going to College..... money wasn't "tight", but I didn't squander it much.   Guitar was in "used" condition...no case....had been "played".    I dragged it around for years without a case....on sandy beaches..... in the woods....snow.... I used to bang on the top for emphasis on some songs.... broke the top if several places.   Amtrac took care of breaking the headstock....fixed it myself.

I eventually got a hard case for it...and before I retired, I had the top repaired, and a professional set up.  It's my practice guitar (because it's smaller than the "Dreads" and no longer get abused.....but....if there wasn't a hold already drilled in the side, I would have opened up the strap peg hole anyway to install the $5 pick up.

8 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I don't know why someone drilled a hole in the bottom of the bass bout.... but it's always been there.....maybe that was before someone thought of running the pick up jack out the strap pin hole.    The Jubilee was bought back in 1971 or 1972....right after I got out of the Army and was working and going to College..... money wasn't "tight", but I didn't squander it much.   Guitar was in "used" condition...no case....had been "played".    I dragged it around for years without a case....on sandy beaches..... in the woods....snow.... I used to bang on the top for emphasis on some songs.... broke the top if several places.   Amtrac took care of breaking the headstock....fixed it myself.

I eventually got a hard case for it...and before I retired, I had the top repaired, and a professional set up.  It's my practice guitar (because it's smaller than the "Dreads" and no longer get abused.....but....if there wasn't a hold already drilled in the side, I would have opened up the strap peg hole anyway to install the $5 pick up.

They had Acoustic Electric Guitars 50 years ago. The Gibson J-160E is one. There were some others too..

Maybe the guy DR bought it from wanted to go Electric? Just never got around to it? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

They had Acoustic Electric Guitars 50 years ago. The Gibson J-160E is one. There were some others too..

Maybe the guy DR bought it from wanted to go Electric? Just never got around to it? 

Well....he didn't even protect the outside of the guitar when he drilled through..... chipped all around.

I suspect he put in a temporary pickup...maybe one that clamped onto the sound hole...I don't know.

Then took it off to put into his new Yamaha acoustic guitar.

But, since I paid only $125 for it, I could put up with the flaws.