Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 w/ Single Pickup & Special Finish...

jsinger

I'm thinking about getting a Gibson ES-175. I've been searching around the net and all the models I'm finding have two pickups. The model I'm looking at at my local dealer only has one pickup. The dealer also said it has a "special one-off finish." The tag on the guitar indicated it was a 2008 model.

I found a post by someone else here about an ES-175 their grandfather gave them. The picture looks exactly like the ES-175 I'm thinking of getting with a single pickup and the "fancy" tailpiece. Here is a link to that thread and image:

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=15184

http://s598.photobucket.com/albums/tt63/iiizman/?action=view&current=P3040203.jpg

Thanks for any help.

I'm thinking about getting a Gibson ES-175. I've been searching around the net and all the models I'm finding have two pickups. The model I'm looking at at my local dealer only has one pickup. The dealer also said it has a "special one-off finish." The tag on the guitar indicated it was a 2008 model.

I found a post by someone else here about an ES-175 their grandfather gave them. The picture looks exactly like the ES-175 I'm thinking of getting with a single pickup and the "fancy" tailpiece. Here is a link to that thread and image:

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=15184

http://s598.photobucket.com/albums/tt63/iiizman/?action=view&current=P3040203.jpg

Thanks for any help.

ES175s came with one or two pickups until about fifteen or twenty years ago. The model number had a suffix to indicate the config e.g. ES175D if the guitar had double pickups.

Subsequently' date=' models with a single full-sized humbucker, like the one in the link you posted, were designated ES165 and sometimes Herb Ellis's signature appeared on the headstock.

In the last few years, a new variant has come out called the "ES165 Herb Ellis" that has a single floating minibucker, a single volume control and a return to the zig-zag tailpiece.

http://www.jacksonsrareguitars.com/gibson-es-165-2003-herb-ellis-sunburst.html

[img']http://www.jacksonsrareguitars.com/image.php?id=2143&type=D[/img]

I think that implementing a floating config in a lamtop because of worries about loss of resonance is a bit precious, and the single knob on the pickguard just looks... er.... odd. It would have been better to put the knob under the guard.

RN

It's not the Herb Ellis ES-165. They had one of those there too. The Ellis has one single coil floating pickup and only a volume knob that is mounted on the pickguard. The model I'm looking at (which the shop guy said was a ES-175) had a dual humbucker and a volume and tone knob all which were mounted in the body.

He said that this model was meant to replicate the original model from the 50's, which apparently had a single dual humbucker pickup.

Again, the tag said June of 2008, which I think is their indicator of when they got it in stock and not necessarily the production date.

The store is closed until Tuesday so I can't get more info and I really want to get it so I'm trying to do as much research on it as possible. They're having a "going out of business" sale and offering everything at cost and I already missed a great deal on a new Fender amp and I don't want to miss this one.

Jeff

It's not the Herb Ellis ES-165. They had one of those there too. The Ellis has one single coil floating pickup and only a volume knob that is mounted on the pickguard. The model I'm looking at (which the shop guy said was a ES-175) had a dual humbucker and a volume and tone knob all which were mounted in the body.

He said that this model was meant to replicate the original model from the 50's, which apparently had a single dual humbucker pickup.

I have a 1996 Herb Ellis ES-165 which has the single humbucker and both the volume and tone mounted on the body. The newer versions do not look like the original version which is as stated below basically a single pickup es-175

GIBSON ES-165 HERB ELLIS (1996)

Florentine (sharp) cutaway, figured maple body with f-holes, 14-fret mahogany neck, white-bound 20-fret rosewood fingerboard with pearloid double parallelogram inlays, 16" lower bour, ~3-3/8" body depth,

1-11/16" nut width, 24-3/4" scale, one humbucking pickup, gold hardware, tune-o-matic bridge

with rosewood base, trapeze tailpiece, b-w-b-w-b beveled pickguard, Grover tuners

with bell shaped buttons, in essence a one pickup ES-175.

In 1991 Gibson approached Guitarist Herb Ellis to design a signature jazz guitar. The result

was the ES-165 Herb Ellis. Not surprisingly, the HE signature model looked

a lot like Herb's personal guitar -- a single-pickup Gibson ES-175, but with gold-plated hardware.

Gibson matched the sound of Herb's original guitar using a single 490R humbucker pickup,

which produces a warm jazz tone while the gold-plated metal parts impart a truly classy look.

Hope this is of some help.

I have a 1996 Herb Ellis ES-165 which has the single humbucker and both the volume and tone mounted on the body. The newer versions do not look like the original version which is as stated below basically a single pickup es-175

GIBSON ES-165 HERB ELLIS (1996)

Florentine (sharp) cutaway, figured maple body with f-holes, 14-fret mahogany neck, white-bound 20-fret rosewood fingerboard with pearloid double parallelogram inlays, 16" lower bour, ~3-3/8" body depth,

1-11/16" nut width, 24-3/4" scale, one humbucking pickup, gold hardware, tune-o-matic bridge

with rosewood base, trapeze tailpiece, b-w-b-w-b beveled pickguard, Grover tuners

with bell shaped buttons, in essence a one pickup ES-175.

In 1991 Gibson approached Guitarist Herb Ellis to design a signature jazz guitar. The result

was the ES-165 Herb Ellis. Not surprisingly, the HE signature model looked

a lot like Herb's personal guitar -- a single-pickup Gibson ES-175, but with gold-plated hardware.

Gibson matched the sound of Herb's original guitar using a single 490R humbucker pickup,

which produces a warm jazz tone while the gold-plated metal parts impart a truly classy look.

Hope this is of some help.

Joseph:

This is what the Herb Ellis that they have looks like:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/4/9/8/336498.jpg

Here is a Herb Ellis that looks exactly like the ES-175 they have (and the one you're describing):

http://www.vintage-guitars.se/1997_Gibson_ES-165_Herb_Ellis_93377428.jpg

But, the HE model has gold tuners and the ES-175 has the "pearl" tuners like on the other ES-175's I'm finding on the net. Also, the head doesn't say "herb ellis" on it like all the other HE models I've seen.

It sounds like you're suggesting I'm actually looking at two different versions of a Herb Ellis ES-165. The guys at the shop are pretty knowledgeable so I'm pretty sure if he says its a ES-175, its a ES-175 (he was getting down to the detail of how the original ES-175's pickups were wound, etc).

I can obviously find out exactly what model it is when the shop opens back up on Tuesday, I'm just trying to figure out as much as I can before then so I go in knowing what I'm getting.

Robin:

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I'm looking at so I can determine if the price is right.

I'm surprised I can't find this guitar on the net somewhere... regardless of whether its a 165 or 175.

Thanks!

Ah I was not aware that there was an ES175SP. Very nice.

I would have thought that if it costs around two or three hundred less than a two pickup 175, you're in business.

R

PS And thank you for drawing my attention to archtop.com. I'll check there to see if they have an ES175CC. This is the ES175 made in 1979-80 (479 of them) with a single Charlie Christian pickup.

And just as I get done posting that I can't find one on the net... here I found it. This is a 2006 Model' date=' so I'm wondering if they made a 2008 model:

http://www.archtop.com/ac_06ES_175SP.html[/quote']

I had seen that model with the vintage vibe before. It has class. Thanks for posting it. It clarifies your concerns. I hope you are able to access some meaningful information that clears the fog. There are good people on this site who can help. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

I called Gibson to get more info and this is what I was told:

"There was a limited run of the ES-175 single P-90 pickup exclusively for an international distributor. There were two finishes available, antique natural and vintage sunburst."

I'm just wondering how my local US dealer got it if it was for an international distributor. They got it direct for Gibson, so it's not like they purchased it from another dealer.

I am looking at a ES 175 as well

What is the real price for one of these Stateside

Anyone have comments on the P90s vs the Humbuckers

Anyone have comments on Red Wine colour as I have only seen it in pics not the flesh

I took it in to get it setup by a professional (SF Guitarworks). There was a little "buzz" for them to take care of as well. So, I won't have it back until next Wed. I'll post some more pics once I get it back.

Believe me, it was hard to give it up for a whole week after only one day with it.

Jeff

I have heard of the 175SP before but there is precious little info around on it. Do you know if the top is built to the early 50s specs or is it thicker like current models? Also, that does not look like a P-90 in it, which apparently is what Gibson told you. How does it sound and play?? enquiring (and envious) minds want to know....

Anyone have comments on the P90s vs the Humbuckers on the 175....other than one is more expensive than the other

Depends on the sound you want.

I had a Seymour Duncan Vintage P90 in one of my partscasters but it was just too hot for jazz. That was the one I replaced with the Charlie Christian.

R

• 4 weeks later...

If you could find a Single Pickup ES175, buy it. It is a very good hollow body guitar. Without the cut a hole for the bridge pickup, the resonance is better. Just imagine you cut one more hole for the middle pickup. Cant imagine the sound.

Archived