Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on this L6-S

Hi,

Been after an L6-S for some time, this finally appeared on Reverb.. listed as a Custom but I think it's a Deluxe.. https://reverb.com/uk/p/gibson-l6-s-custom-1973-1980?hfid=78552007&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=18354914807&utm_content=campaignid=18354914807_adgroupid=_productpartitionid==merchantid=5328274129_productid=78552007_keyword=_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAt5euBhB9EiwAdkXWO-07O_XKzTa9hSaDs5CG2ase_pKDNUUfy77AfRD_pRfx1zjll19AQBoCYJ0QAvD_BwE

I'm aware these are fairly rare and also often modified but there are a few things i'm not 100% sure about..

a) 3 piece body.. i've only ever seen them 2 piece with a 3 piece neck

b) Pick guard looks like it's not original

Appreciate anyones thoughts..

Many thanks

Mike (Kent UK)

Yes as ksdaddy said.

Body and neck have been stripped.

I had a wine red one - my 1st Gibson, should have kept it!

Like this one for a high price at Guitar Village - I know the link says walnut but it's  wine red.

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/product/gibson-l6s-deluxe-walnut-pre-owned-circa-1975

Edited by jdgm

You definitely think the body and neck have been stripped?.. I'll ask for an internal photo of the pots and wiring in case there is any evidence in there.

Further research has found Deluxe are also sometime 3 piece bodies so that checks out, just not sure if they ever did them in natural as opposed to potentially stripped.. I'd also need to source a Deluxe pickguard, or at least get one made

Anyway thanks for the info.. very much appreciated

Mike

Deluxe pickguards are easily bought.  The Custom (rounded) ones are much more common but the Deluxe ones are around. Google pickguardheaven. I had a 1974 L6S about 20 years ago. It came to me with a homemade metal guard. There was an ebay seller named dasbootman that made custom guards and I had him make me a white/black/white one. I think it looked great and I've never seen that color combo before or since.

NKou0OL.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 2:48 PM, ksdaddy said:

Deluxe pickguards are easily bought.  The Custom (rounded) ones are much more common but the Deluxe ones are around. Google pickguardheaven. I had a 1974 L6S about 20 years ago. It came to me with a homemade metal guard. There was an ebay seller named dasbootman that made custom guards and I had him make me a white/black/white one. I think it looked great and I've never seen that color combo before or since.

NKou0OL.jpg

Wow... very nice 🙂