Gibson Brands Forums

Perfect setup with one amp and one guitar, is it possible?

Thundergod

You know I have been thinking more about this subject and the Mark5' date=' I am thinking while this is a kick butt amp maybe its one of the reasons people don't have signature tone any more. 3 Preamps each with 3 voicings; way to many options and buttons and knobs. I remember the simplistic times when a amp was one channel then they added a hi and low input then two channels, then three channels now three channels with three voicing or even Marshall has a 410MVP which is 4 channels I believe with 6 voices per channel (I could be wrong about that). I guess what I am getting at is with amps and even guitars today there are so many options that its easy to get lost in the options. Don't even get me started on digital.......lol[/quote']

Right! And that's the thing that drives me more nuts, having so much options... I would rather have a great clean tone and great crunch in the same amp with no need to setup 4 channels or 7 pedals or replacing guitars...

Guess I am asking for more than it's possible... I'll keep on experimenting this week and be back with some news (even if those news are "FAIL"](*,) )

I didn't realize they made amps with so many channels. I hear what your saying though Thundergod, it really is tough to find an amp with all the versatility that you want. My qualm with my 800 that I traded this afternoon was that, as much as I loved the amp, it didn't quite facilitate me for my band's music. I had to plug into the clean channel and use a distortion pedal with it, but my clean suffered at high volumes. So I went and traded it for an amp with dual channels and ended up with a Marshall 6100 which has 3 channels. I was able to dial in a great clean sound that I'm diggin so far this afternoon, now I gotta work on the other two channels for a good clean/semi distorted tone and channel 3 for the regular distorted tone. Having to deal with so many channels just seems like such a pain in arse and you just hope that in the end you'll finally come to something that you can truly be happy with.

Having to deal with so many channels just seems like such a pain in arse and you just hope that in the end you'll finally come to something that you can truly be happy with.

And when you finally do' date=' some f-cker will come and tweak your settings to what he thinks is cool... leaving you with nothing again :-$ (happened to me the last time I played live... double'](*,) )

I'll keep on experimenting this week and be back with some news (even if those news are "FAIL"](*' date=') )[/quote']

Back in 1980 I spent about a week playing around with the eight knobs and two rocker switches that make up 'Channel Two' on my MusicMan 2x12. Every time I got something that sounded great I marked down the settings on a simple chart I'd prepared and gave it some sort of descriptive name. Some names were made up whilst others were more obvious - such as "Sultans of Swing" or "Hey Joe".

At the end of my buggering-about I had a list of some fifteen settings ready to be Dialled-In.

That chart was Sellotaped to my amp's back-board for the next 15 years.......

Even now, after I got my LP last June, I did much the same (it took less time as I had a better idea of what the amp could do...) and there is a bit of paper sitting on top of the MM with : "Jumpin' at Shadows"; ChV-7.7; Tr-10.;Md........etc..etc..

Next time some smartarse changes your settings it will be easy to reset and you will have all the more time to smack the upstart.

Back in 1980 I spent about a week playing around with the eight knobs and two rocker switches that make up 'Channel Two' on my MusicMan 2x12. Every time I got something that sounded great I marked down the settings on a simple chart I'd prepared and gave it some sort of descriptive name. Some names were made up whilst others were more obvious - such as "Sultans of Swing" or "Hey Joe".

At the end of my buggering-about I had a list of some fifteen settings ready to be Dialled-In.

That chart was Sellotaped to my amp's back-board for the next 15 years.......

Even now' date=' after I got my LP last June, I did much the same (it took less time as I had a better idea of what the amp could do...) and there is a bit of paper sitting on top of the MM with : "Jumpin' at Shadows"; ChV-7.7; Tr-10.;Md........etc..etc..

Next time some smartarse changes your settings it will be easy to reset and you will have all the more time to smack the upstart.[/quote']

Really a good idea to help remember good amp settings.

Right now the amp I'm using has 1 volume and 1 tone control so there is not a whole lot of options for the settings.

I've learned that there is something to the mystical mojo of a simple single ended amp.

Archived