Gibson Brands Forums

Could this be a fluke or a sign of major improvements to come???

hbomb76

Yes, it's a 2009 SG '61 (in JAPAN, of all friggin' places), but take a look:

HERE

The good beveling's pretty much all there (notice the lower-horn's bevels follow the pickguard again...splendid...and the upper-horn seems to have gained back some much-missed beveling as well...great job!), although it's hard to tell how nice the horn tapers are (but they look ok...better than the Historic at least), and if the color's coming through true on my monitor, that's MUCH more what I'd expect a "cherry" guitar to look like! (not to mention but the finish overall seems to be better QUALITY than what I've seen in the past couple years...if so, kudos!)

What's the story, Gibson? Will this goodness be the 'norm' or is it a lucky fluke? If this baby had a Maestro I'd already have it on its way to me.

GIBSON REPS WHO READ THESE POSTS (if you DO exist): the above guitar is a great step back into what the '61 reissue should generally look like (I know, some people want the ABR back instead of the Nashville), now you just need to tell your folks to get the Maestro option back out here, with bodies like that! It'd be a great compromise towards improved reissues.

Anyhoo, what're ya' readin' for??? Go check it out!

H-Bomb

I have an '04 that is a dead ringer for this one, except the lower cutaway has even deeper beveling, exactly on the line of the pickguard. It's my 4th re-issue; I bought it because I had never seen such deep beveling on a RI before. It was setup by me with extremely low action, and the intonation is flawless. It holds a tune from one gig to the next--the most perfect SG I have ever seen.

I have an '04 that is a dead ringer for this one' date=' except the lower cutaway has even deeper beveling, exactly on the line of the pickguard. It's my 4th re-issue; I bought it because I had never seen such deep beveling on a RI before. It was setup by me with extremely low action, and the intonation is flawless. It holds a tune from one gig to the next--the most perfect SG I have ever seen.[/quote']

Yeah, up till 2004/2005 that's how all of them since 1999 were, but then 2005-2007 it became an odds-against crapshoot, and recently (last 2 years) has been terrible. I'm hoping the auction one is a sign of things to come, but of course if they miraculously started back doing the circa 2000 beveling/tapering/etc, along with the option of a Maestro, they'd be doing a lot of us (and themselves) a favor. Those Japanese-exclusive limited ones in 2006 were nice, and I think we've waited long enough for it to be an available model in the USA again. Of course knowing me, I'd dump all my Gibsons except "Agnus" and replace each of them with such a splendiferous guitar. Stimulate the economy, Gibson! ;)

H-Bomb

I'm hoping this is a sign of the times. I can live with a Nashville. Sure glad I'm still sitting on my wallet. I've got 6/7 months before I need to spend a few bucks on gear.

Thanks H.

Murph.

Archived