Gibson Brands Forums

Antique Genuine Tortoise Pick Collection...

Murph

I started playing in 1969. I don't think I ever owned one of these, you'd think I would have, but I really don't recall it.

Cool collection, tough.

Sometime back in the 90s a friend found a few old t-shell laminated jewelry boxes at a flea market.  We peeled the laminate off the wooden boxes and shaped picks of genuine t-shell, of which I still have two.  It is indeed a forbidden material these days, for good reason, but old items like jewelry boxes can still be legally acquired from antique dealers...........very expensive though.  At risk of condemnation I will attest that no other material has the tone nor organic feel of genuine t-shell.............it is absolutely unique and if I could have but one pick for the remainder of my playing life it would be t-shell.  Casein picks (Red Bear, Charmed Life as examples) are quite close but don't have the same feel on the strings and are generally a bit darker in tone.   Both t-shell and casein are malleable.......the heat and moisture of gripping them deforms them to fit the contours of your fingers which provides an excellent tactile feel and grip.  If you can't afford a $500+ antique jewelry box to cannibalize, casein is a close second.

• Like 1