Gibson Brands Forums

WHAT size are P-100 Height Adjust Screws? ('92 ES-135)

68Kustom

Hi,

The Phillips heads have worn out on my P-100 height adjusters.  I am told they're #3-48 at 1.5".  Impossible to find. 

So, I got new #3-48 size screws at 1.25".   Standard Gibson pickup height screws.  These are long enough to serve the neck pickup.  NOPE.  They bind in the mount plate.

I tried a gold Gibson #3-48 x 1.25" I have on hand.  NOPE.  Binds in the mount plate.   In desperation, I got M2.5 x 40 mm.  NOPE.  Binds in the mount plate.

What  thread did Gibson use for this ES-135?

135 pickup mount plate.jpg

19 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If they are 3-48, can you find ones longer than 1.5 inches and cut them?

Thanks, but length is not the problem.  Diameter is the problem.  Have tried the following:

• 2.0mm
  • 2.5mm
  • #2-56
  • #3-48 (Gibson's standard pickup height screw)

Not one is a fit.  Whatever screw Gibson used on the P-100, it's NOT a #3-48.   It's slightly smaller but not as small as #2-56.  

This means the necessary screw is of diameter 0.0925".  What the hell type is THAT? 

The four mount holes on the plate all take this unknown size.

13 minutes ago, 68Kustom said:

Thanks, but length is not the problem.  Diameter is the problem.  Have tried the following:

• 2.0mm
  • 2.5mm
  • #2-56
  • #3-48 (Gibson's standard pickup height screw)

Not one is a fit.  Whatever screw Gibson used on the P-100, it's NOT a #3-48.   It's slightly smaller but not as small as #2-56.  

This means the necessary screw is of diameter 0.0925".  What the hell type is THAT? 

The four mount holes on the plate all take this unknown size.

Try calling G, or email them. 

Or take that plate off and go to a super mega store that sells screws and see what they can come up with.

Tap it with a screw tap set?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Try calling G, or email them. 

Or take that plate off and go to a super mega store that sells screws and see what they can come up with.

Tap it with a screw tap set?

Talked to Gibson some time back ... runaround.

As for the diameter, there are only Metric and Imperial out there.  The thread Gibson used is either an in-house limited batch or some arcane foreign type they bought up in quantity.

I prefer to keep my 135 stock.  Also, the screw has to fit through the P-100 pickup body, so, no drilling is possible.

3 minutes ago, 68Kustom said:

Talked to Gibson some time back ... runaround.

As for the diameter, there are only Metric and Imperial out there.  The thread Gibson used is either an in-house limited batch or some arcane foreign type they bought up in quantity.

I prefer to keep my 135 stock.  Also, the screw has to fit through the P-100 pickup body, so, no drilling is possible.

What is the biggest size metric or Imperial screw that fits through the pickup?

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What is the biggest size metric or Imperial screw that fits through the pickup?

The nearest Metric equivalent is 2.5 mm diameter, slightly smaller than #3-48, but the pitch is wrong.

12 minutes ago, 68Kustom said:

The nearest Metric equivalent is 2.5 mm diameter, slightly smaller than #3-48, but the pitch is wrong.

Pitch? You mean the threads? Is 2.5mm larger or smaller than the existing hole in the plate the screw’s go into?

You In the USA or overseas?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Pitch? You mean the threads? Is 2.5mm larger or smaller than the existing hole in the plate the screw’s go into?

You In the USA or overseas?

Pitch describes the number of threads per unit length.  Gibson's standard pickup height adjuster screw is #3-48, which means a screw of .099" diameter and 48 threads per inch of length.

That standard Gibson fastener does not fit the P-100 mounting plate in my Gibson ES-135.  I'm considering Gibson may have used a #3-56 screw.

I know what threads per inch is. A Quarter 20 bolt is 1/4 inch across, and has 20 threads per inch. Let me dust off the dirt from the rock I just crawled out from under.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

A Quarter 20 bolt is 1/4 inch across, and has 20 threads per inch. Let me dust off the dirt from the rock I just crawled out from under.

No, it's Gibson who's under a rock.  All Gibson had to do was use #3-48 tap to mount the P-100, but they went with some untraceable 1.5" fastener and f'd-up tooling that doesn't exist anymore.

The neck on the ES-135 is absolutely perfect and the thinline profile is like stage armour.  Perfect guitar except for the 1940s throwback pickup mounts.

What he’s trying to say, if your screw is to big for the plate hole (but fits the pickup)

use a tap that matches your replacement screw threads and tap the plate to fit the screw. As it appears that you’re not getting a screw “stock” to fit

btw how the heck does one ‘wear out’ a pickup adjustment screw?

10 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

What he’s trying to say, if your screw is to big for the plate hole (but fits the pickup) use a tap that matches your replacement screw threads and tap the plate to fit the screw. As it appears that you’re not getting a screw “stock” to fit

btw how the heck does one ‘wear out’ a pickup adjustment screw?

Thanks, but I wish to keep the guitar as stock.  The plate's thickness is about 1/16", so cannot be re-tapped.  There's also no guarantee to finding a screw of 1.5" length.

The screws have tiny Phillips heads and they are white steel--soft and easily corroded.  The Phillips points have degraded over the 32 years since the guitar left the plant.

22 minutes ago, 68Kustom said:

Thanks, but I wish to keep the guitar as stock.  The plate's thickness is about 1/16", so cannot be re-tapped.  There's also no guarantee to finding a screw of 1.5" length.

The screws have tiny Phillips heads and they are white steel--soft and easily corroded.  The Phillips points have degraded over the 32 years since the guitar left the plant.

I’ll bet Stew Mac has replacement mounting plates, and screw for it. 

So if you try to sell it, and you don’t have the original screws you think the guy who is buying it that’s gonna be a dealbreaker?

I’ll bet Stew Mac has replacement mounting plates, and screw for it. 

So if you try to sell it, and you don’t have the original screws you think the guy who is buying it that’s gonna be a dealbreaker?

No, I don't plan to sell it, but I do wish to keep this ES-135 as stock.  A replacement mounting plate is an excellent idea, however, so thanks for that.  I'll look into it.

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

But if you buy a replacement plate it won’t be stock.

Consider the difference: irreversible mods to original parts vs. saving the originals while using replacement parts.  Thanks for your kind concern, though.

26 minutes ago, 68Kustom said:

Consider the difference: irreversible mods to original parts vs. saving the originals while using replacement parts.  Thanks for your kind concern, though.

I never suggested you ream out the pup with a drill bit. Just find a screw that fits through without reaming it and tap the plate for the screw. Yeah it’s me being a wise a-ss. Stick around and there will be more to come.

I never suggested you ream out the pup with a drill bit. Just find a screw that fits through without reaming it and tap the plate for the screw. Yeah it’s me being a wise a-ss. Stick around and there will be more to come.

Thank you for your time.