Gibson Brands Forums

L-00 standard tuning machine recommendations

APC3

I have a 2017 Gibson L-00 that I would like to change out the Grover mini Romantics to some cream button tuners. From my understanding, I should just need the 3/8" conversion bushings from Stew Mac. I am curious what tuners you have switched to. I would really like to not pay the Waverly premium, I know they're great tuners, but I'm hoping there are some other good options out there. I do realize that the bushings will leave "eyes" on the headstock that may or may not polish out and I'm ok with that since this guitar has been gigged and traveled heavily over the last 7 years and shows heavy use, but is now retired at home and the tuners have always bothered me from a cosmetic standpoint. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

For reference, I have a 2021 J45 50's original with the Grover strap button tuners (has been equally gigged and traveled and it shows), a HD-28 and 00-15m with Grover Sta-Tites, and a new 000-15m with the new Ping black button tuners and I have zero issues with any of them as far as tuning stability or feel. I'm actually curious how the Sta-Tites would look on the L-00, but more leaning towards cream buttons., thanks again. 

If there are better strip tuners currently available then the Waverlys, I have not run into them.  That does not mean that there aren't any, just that I have not had experience with them.  So, best to take this opinion with a grain of salt.  I guess the most common modern choice though would be Golden Age Restoration tuners.  I believe they still offer both standard and short post versions. 

That said, when replacing the tuners on my old Harmony Sovereign, I opted for a set of Sta-Tites.  They sure worked a lot better than the original Klusons and I like the way they look including the metal buttons on at least that guitar.

Meatal buttons just do look right on some guitars ('41 Regal). I replaced some Grovers on an L00 with a set of Golden Age. I heard some people knock them but I haven't had any issues and like the look. I didn't worry about the old screw holes peeking out. 

52683938272_aedf236c53_z.jpg

52684877645_808ef21fe7_z.jpg

52647563745_90187e8339_z.jpg

52647603023_ae4ba34478_z.jpg

52124846218_6120ec0483_b.jpg

Edited by Dave F

Posted (edited)

Thanks Dave and Zombwoof. After doing a little more research, I found that the Gibson deluxe white button tuners have the same 10mm screw in bushings as the mini Romantics and may go with those, but then I'm most likely stuck with the big round washers on the front of the headstock. I'll have to do some more research to see if the Stew Mac 10mm bushing conversions will work with the Gibson tuners as far as post size. I do really like the look of the Golden Age tuners, so that may be the route I go. Thanks for sharing and I'm also not concerned with the screw holes as this is a daily player. The mini Romantics have just always seem out of place to me. 

Edited by APC3

3 hours ago, Dave F said:

Meatal buttons just do look right on some guitars ('41 Regal). I replaced some Grovers on an L00 with a set of Golden Age. I heard some people knock them but I haven't had any issues and like the look. I didn't worry about the old screw holes peeking out. 

52683938272_aedf236c53_z.jpg

52684877645_808ef21fe7_z.jpg

52647563745_90187e8339_z.jpg

52647603023_ae4ba34478_z.jpg

52124846218_6120ec0483_b.jpg

I love those valve cover tuners.  The set my 1942 J50 now sports came off a Regal with those covers.  In fact, I bought the guitar just to get the tuners paying a whopping $35 for it. National was also big on them.

Edited by zombywoof

This Regal came with the covers. The tuner buttons were plastic with what looks like aluminum paint. Two were missing and the others looked ragged. I found these new kluson that matched. 

Thanks again for the help and suggestions, I will think this over for the next few weeks and post some pics when I finally make a decision and change them out.