Gibson Brands Forums

Es 339 30/60 neck or 59 neck?

daveinspain

Hi All,

I want to get a ES 339 any advise on which neck? I have a 2007 LP Classsic with the 60's neck... I have a Robot Guitar with the 50's neck and I also have a 71 SG Standard with the slim 60's neck. I love the feel of the 50's neck but the 71 SG with the slim 60's neck is very easy for me to play ( I am a latent beginner ) All that being said any advice from experianced players would be great...

Hi All' date='

I want to get a ES 339 any advise on which neck? I have a 2007 LP Classsic with the 60's neck... I have a Robot Guitar with the 50's neck and I also have a 71 SG Standard with the slim 60's neck. I love the feel of the 50's neck but the 71 SG with the slim 60's neck is very easy for me to play ( I am a latent beginner ) All that being said any advice from experianced players would be great... [/quote']

To avoid future injury, I would take the larger diameter neck. I notice that while playing my thin neck 1991 Fender Strat Ultra I get a lot of pain in my left arm, in the medial and upper forearm region. This condition is known as tendonitis. But I don't get the same pain when using my 1990 Gibson ES-347, 2007 Fender Baja Telecaster, or my 1981 Gibson L6-S ( in order of increasing thickness).

Oh BTW Nice Axes.....:)

Here was my reply from the same thread in the LP forum.

I have a 339 with the 30/60 neck and a faded LP Standard with the '50s neck. They are VERY similar. I'm a '50s neck guy and prefer bigger necks on all my guitars' date=' but I snapped up the 339 even though it had the smaller neck because these are pretty tough to get in Canada. To be honest, I haven't found the neck to be that much different than some of my other Gibsons with fatter necks. Other people who've played it thought it was a '50s neck as well. I [i']did[/i] get a chance to play one with the '50s neck last week and didn't like it. It was fine at the lower end of the neck, but once you get up around the 7th fret and over, I found it too big even for me.

I was there again yesterday and they had another new 339 in the same Vintage Sunburst as mine, but with a '50s neck. I pulled it down and it was FAT!!! As I said before, by the 5th to 7th fret and up I found it tough to play and I have always bought '50s necks. I remember when I got my '67 SG with the P90s (Guitar of the Week 37) I commented to the sales guy that it was a really big neck, but it felt good. The 339 neck would take some serious getting used to.

Archived