Gibson Brands Forums

2016 ES-335 Figured Pricing?

gretschjet

Hi Everyone!  I'm new here and was wondering how much a 2016 ES-335 Figured in natural generally goes for?  I bought my first 335 used from guitar center the other day and now I'm wondering if I may have gotten sucked in by the flametop and overpaid.  I tried to kind of discern it on reverb.com, but being that the 2016 is a bit unique it was kind of hard to tell.  Luckily with guitar center I have 45 days, so I'm not stuck with it if I did.  Thanks in advance for the help!

Hi, now I'm in the uk, Our prices tend to be more, meaning than the $ value pretty much = the £ value. You've done the right thing checking out reverb and its surprising you got only a couple of maches. I just had a quick look having copy & pasted your 

2016 ES-335 Figured

into google and seem to be looking at £3300 to £3600 across ebay, and various uk stores. 

The flame tops do run higher of course and even then there is a lot of variation. Do you like the guitar?

4 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Hi, now I'm in the uk, Our prices tend to be more, meaning than the $ value pretty much = the £ value. You've done the right thing checking out reverb and its surprising you got only a couple of maches. I just had a quick look having copy & pasted your 

into google and seem to be looking at £3300 to £3600 across ebay, and various uk stores. 

The flame tops do run higher of course and even then there is a lot of variation. Do you like the guitar?

@merciful-evans - thank you for your reply!  Yeah, I ended up paying about $3,300 after taxes.  I think what made me nervous is some were saying they disliked the titanium saddles and BB 1 and 2 pickups.  Obviously, all this stuff is subjective and it ultimately matters what you think of the guitar.  However, when spending a pretty large sum of money I want to make sure I didn't snag a less desirable year being that I can always return it and maybe get a 63' reissue or something else for a bit more money.  I won't receive the guitar until 18th and will definitely post my thoughts once it comes in.  Attached are a couple pictures of the guitar.  Thanks once again for your response!

335_front.jpg

335_back.jpg

“Overpaying” is a fluid concept.  Did you buy it to flip it or play it?  The price is dependent on how many are available at any one time, and the condition.  Right now is there one available cheaper in the same condition?  Then yeah, you *might* say you overpaid.  But where is it? Private party with no guarantee, or a shop that has your back if something turns up wrong?  

In my experience, GC tends to price pretty competitively with reverb/ebay  (actually my experience has been sometimes scoring huge deals because they didn’t recognize something special.)  

The most important thing, is do you like to play it?  Ask yourself Is it worth throwing back hoping something a few dollars lower will come along?  Or do you want the immediate gratification?  

These are the intangible things I think about when buying and pricing.  I’ve made some sorry mistakes passing up great guitars for picky reasons, like fussing over a couple hundred I couldn’t deal off, or assuming I can just find a better one later.  

I say, use your exchange period to figure out if it works for you, and keep an eye on the market. If something else pops, then your decision gets a little tougher, but my guess is, unless you bought an Epiphone priced as a Gibson, you paid a fair price for a guitar you have in your hand right now.  

Enjoy, and pics if you decide to keep it! (Edit: I was typing while you were posting, that is a great looking guitar!, hope it works out when you get it!) 

Edited by PrairieDog

23 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

16 minutes ago, gretschjet said:

@merciful-evans - thank you for your reply!  Yeah, I ended up paying about $3,300 after taxes. 

Just mentioning,  3300 pounds is equal to  4100 US right now, so it sounds like it was actually  a pretty good deal!  🙂

Edited by PrairieDog

40 minutes ago, gretschjet said:

@merciful-evans - thank you for your reply!  Yeah, I ended up paying about $3,300 after taxes.  I think what made me nervous is some were saying they disliked the titanium saddles and BB 1 and 2 pickups.  Obviously, all this stuff is subjective and it ultimately matters what you think of the guitar.  However, when spending a pretty large sum of money I want to make sure I didn't snag a less desirable year being that I can always return it and maybe get a 63' reissue or something else for a bit more money.  I won't receive the guitar until 18th and will definitely post my thoughts once it comes in.  Attached are a couple pictures of the guitar.  Thanks once again for your response!

I cant imagine what there is not to like about titanium saddles. Titanium is expensive and so hard its difficult to work. Unlike brass or steel it will never wear and is a great option IMO.

BB1 & 2? There was some great advise on here about these 18 months or so back. I don't recall which poster it was, but it was a regular. He said the key to getting the right sound from BBs was to raise them much higher above the strings than normally. It caused a ripple among the BB users here with some following the advise. 

As for your guitar, its a peach! Absolutely superb finish and similar to 10PLs. I hope it plays well. 

I was looking through some of the pictures that the guitar center employee sent me after I bought it and one of them shows the back of the headstock and it has 2017 pressed into the headstock beneath the made in USA.  Is  that the year it was made?  Is there any other way to date the guitar through the serial number?  Thank you!

11 hours ago, gretschjet said:

I was looking through some of the pictures that the guitar center employee sent me after I bought it and one of them shows the back of the headstock and it has 2017 pressed into the headstock beneath the made in USA.  Is  that the year it was made?  Is there any other way to date the guitar through the serial number?  Thank you!

Yes that's the year it was made. You can trust that. And yeah - the titanium saddles are a nice bonus. The guitar you are looking at is either original and authentic, or it is one helluva fake, which I doubt very much!

Edited by 10PoundLester

1 hour ago, 10PoundLester said:

Yes that's the year it was made. You can trust that. And yeah - the titanium saddles are a nice bonus. The guitar you are looking at is either original and authentic, or it is one helluva fake, which I doubt very much!

I totally agree. Very nice Guitar. Enjoy. Hard to beat a 335.

• Thanks 1