Gibson Brands Forums

“Short-Bed Silverado”

6 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

I’ll tell the forum what I told DanvillRob in a PM:

LOVE IT! You have to post it. Everything came together. I’m honored.

My wife overheard it and asked who it was. She said, “It sounds really good.” (She’s heard enough of my bad music to know….) She also said your voice has just the right “rough” quality for the song, and that’s quite a compliment. “He did a really good job with it.”

The repeated chorus works well and was a great choice. Thanks so much for the thought, energy and talent you put into doing the song. I’m humbled and honored.

I agree with my wife on the voice. You bring just the right “feel” to the song.

It's a great song..... I cut it down to 4-1/2 minutes, (eliminated the instrumental in the middle and the Outro also).

I'm glad you like it....it was a fun song to video.

If it gets AM Radio air play, just remember your poor old friend out in California!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

WOW WOW WOW!! What a great job, Bob.  Instant classic, you two.  

You’re too kind……I just sang what David wrote.

i think he and I SHOULD collaborate on a song or two!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I’m game. Could do it by Zoom but the time difference between Manchester and California is going to be a killer….

9 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Definitely.  And curious, does your wife sing by chance? I can hear it with  classic female backing/harmonizing, especially on the chorus.   Anyone got a line to Emmy Lou? 😄

2 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Definitely.  And curious, does your wife sing by chance? I can hear it with  classic female backing/harmonizing, especially on the chorus.   Anyone got a line to Emmy Lou? 😄

No, the wife does not sing a lick....she tells the true story of when our son was very little, she was singing him a lullaby.....he reached up and pinched her lips shut!

1 minute ago, DanvillRob said:

No, the wife does not sing a lick....she tells the true story of when our son was very little, she was singing him a lullaby.....he reached up and pinched her lips shut!

Ooooh, ouch!  What do kids know? Chuckle.   As my vocal coach always said, everyone  can sing.  she just needs to find her voice.  On my end, we had a dog that was just inconsolable at the vet.  It took 3 techs and us to hold her still for any procedure.  I started la la laing over her whimpering to mask the sound and offer a distraction.  She stopped for a second and looked at me.  I stopped, she started crying again.  So I la la’ed again.  She stopped.  The vet told me to keep going, so I sang the first song that popped into my head: the chorus from Dougie McClean’s Caledonia.  And whaddya know? She calmed down as long as I was making a worse noise than she was 😆 The vet wrote in the notes “have [PD] sing during procedures.   

• Like 1

Just now, PrairieDog said:

Ooooh, ouch!  What do kids know? Chuckle.   As my vocal coach always said, everyone  can sing.  she just needs to find her voice.  On my end, we had a dog that was just inconsolable at the vet.  It took 3 techs and us to hold her still for any procedure.  I started la la laing over her whimpering to mask the sound and offer a distraction.  She stopped for a second and looked at me.  I stopped, she started crying again.  So I la la’ed again.  She stopped.  The vet told me to keep going, so I sang the first song that popped into my head: the chorus from Dougie McClean’s Caledonia.  And whaddya know? She calmed down as long as I was making a worse noise than she was 😆 The vet wrote in the notes “have [PD] sing during procedures.   

Now THAT'S funny!    

I've been asked to sing at times when no guitars were around....the people just wanted me to burst out with a show tune or something.... in a panic, I sang "Mercedex Benz" by Janis!

• Haha 1

Just now, PrairieDog said:

That’s your brother! Cool!

Yes....my younger brother.... he lives near Reno.....sometimes play The Red Dog Saloon......I'm going to visit him for a few days in October..... hopefully we'll make some videos I can share.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Yes....my younger brother.... he lives near Reno.....sometimes play The Red Dog Saloon......I'm going to visit him for a few days in October..... hopefully we'll make some videos I can share.

he bears an uncanny resemblance to Fred  Armisen. I confess, I was waiting for a punchline! 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 4:25 AM, dhanners623 said:

Since posting, I streamlined some clunky wording in one of the verses and added a verse regarding the constabulary’s interest in Jude’s untimely demise. But here’s my question I go back and forth on: Is that verse needed? Does it add anything to the story? Is the story OK without it? Unless it adds pertinent info, I’m not sure it should be in there. Thoughts?

And while we’re at it, of the version below, is verse 7 necessary? Does it add anything? Tie up any loose ends?

May do a new video later.

For the eagle-eyed (or eared) you’ll note each verse has an internal rhyme or near-rhyme in the third line, except for the first and last verses. That is by design.

The lyrics:

Short-Bed Silverado

© 2024 by David Hanners

On the High Plains of Texas

There’s long and empty roads

Your only friend is some preacher

In the static on the radio

Tammy tended bar at the Lost Coyote

And that is where she met Jude

A cowboy Romeo down from Amarillo

On the Wrangler ProRodeo Tour

Tammy was a spark

Jude was high-test gasoline

It was no surprise when word come down he had died

In a bar ditch along FM 2019

Sheriff hauled Tammy in for questions

Could not break her alibi

A Cheshire grin is not evidence

With no witness to testify

Tammy stole away to Amarillo

Some say she had a plan

First place she hit was Jude’s dad’s car dealership

That night seduced the old man

He doctored a title on a short-bed Silverado

No rust, mileage was low

Not the best trade he ever made

But it got Tammy where she had to go

Tammy lit out from Odessa

The old man ponders what he did

Knows he overpaid, still sells his cars by day

At night he wrestles his sins

And Tammy’s flying down

Some long and empty road

Only friend is some preacher

Coming through the static down in Mexico

I love this, Dave!  Went a total different direction than I got from the title.  I was expecting a nostalgic walk back to the “good old days.”…lol….Instead, it was a tale about some low-down and conniving female……Good stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissouriPicker said:

I love this, Dave!  Went a total different direction than I got from the title.  I was expecting a nostalgic walk back to the “good old days.”…lol….Instead, it was a tale about some low-down and conniving female……Good stuff.

Thanks! The song’s narrator is placing some faith that cosmic justice will deal with Tammy…..

• Like 1

If the link works, here I am doing my current version of the song last night at the Whiskey Jar in Manchester’s Northern Quarter:  https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPSkSRp5Spj5DnHdUGDtrXK6K67imsEJzRp0_lK3qIGUGOKl-yHx4H_AwHewf9szw/photo/AF1QipNn-0-nDovbvfdAHO3qlPWqR0s5Yict4yU4L1g?key=cUROUUF3Q0pHRTJIMk5lY284ZV9xWUJuU2FwVTB3

I’m doing the song on my 1954 Stella H929, equipped with the Journey EP001K pickup. Speaking of pickups, I got a K&K Pure Mini installed in my J-35 today….

Edited by dhanners623
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

If the link works, here I am doing my current version of the song last night at the Whiskey Jar in Manchester’s Northern Quarter:  https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPSkSRp5Spj5DnHdUGDtrXK6K67imsEJzRp0_lK3qIGUGOKl-yHx4H_AwHewf9szw/photo/AF1QipNn-0-nDovbvfdAHO3qlPWqR0s5Yict4yU4L1g?key=cUROUUF3Q0pHRTJIMk5lY284ZV9xWUJuU2FwVTB3

I’m doing the song on my 1954 Stella H929, equipped with the Journey EP001K pickup. Speaking of pickups, I got a K&K Pure Mini installed in my J-35 today….

That was simply excellent!    Makes me envious that I’m not up there with you!

4 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

That was simply excellent!    Makes me envious that I’m not up there with you!

Could’ve used you! The Whiskey Jar is a great place to play; it was SRO but they shut up and hang on every word. The host, Joe McAdam, is a great guy. He also owns a Gibson Hank Williams Jr.. Southern Jumbo that’s really nice, although I fear it needs a neck reset.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

Could’ve used you! The Whiskey Jar is a great place to play; it was SRO but they shut up and hang on every word. The host, Joe McAdam, is a great guy. He also owns a Gibson Hank Williams Jr.. Southern Jumbo that’s really nice, although I fear it needs a neck reset.

You play some pretty long Rhythm Chord Instrumentals in the Intro & between verses. Can you incorporate some Lead licks with those Chords?

Like Rob, I'd love to sit in on that song & add some harmony, a little Slide & maybe some Harp. Or Bass.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

You play some pretty long Rhythm Chord Instrumentals in the Intro & between verses. Can you incorporate some Lead licks with those Chords?

Like Rob, I'd love to sit in on that song & add some harmony, a little Slide & maybe some Harp. Or Bass.

Lars, you and I are gonna get together no my next trip yo Palm Springs!