Gibson Brands Forums

Recording mic recommendations for J45

47 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

She said you don’t need an Interface. You just plug into your Computer, pull up Garage Band, Logic or whatever Recording Software & record. Is that true?

Completely depends on which computer you have (assume you're talking about the Mac). You can find all the different models here and the specs will indicate whether they have audio input.

https://everymac.com

I don't think Apple is putting audio interfaces on new Macs anymore, you would probably have to go back several years to the models with Intel processors (new Macs use proprietary Apple processors).

I'm assuming you're talking about plugging an analog microphone or electric guitar directly into a Mac here, some devices (digital keyboards, etc) will have direct USB outputs that can be connected to any Mac (USB-C adapter might be needed in some cases).

Edited by Boyd

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

She said you don’t need an Interface. You just plug into your Computer, pull up Garage Band, Logic or whatever Recording Software & record. Is that true?

Yes, that was my first setup. Apogee Mic straight in to an iPad with Garageband. Just one cable and super easy. Good sound too!

5 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Yes, that was my first setup. Apogee Mic straight in to an iPad with Garageband. Just one cable and super easy. Good sound too!

I have ProTools on my MacBook Pro. Can I plug this Apogeee Mic right into the Computer via USB, then Record on ProTools & be able to use the EQ, Comp, FX & other Plugins to Record & Mix Projects? If so, I could take my MacBook anywhere & have a portable Recording Studio? Is that right? I'd really like to know more about this. 

12 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I have ProTools on my MacBook Pro. Can I plug this Apogeee Mic right into the Computer via USB, then Record on ProTools & be able to use the EQ, Comp, FX & other Plugins to Record & Mix Projects? If so, I could take my MacBook anywhere & have a portable Recording Studio? Is that right? I'd really like to know more about this. 

Yes, I see no reason why this wouldn’t work. My iPad setup with this mic was fully portable. Just needed to make sure the iPad was charged before starting. This is by far the simplest recording setup possible. One mic, one cable, one device.

Lars

1 hour ago, Lars68 said:

Yes, I see no reason why this wouldn’t work. My iPad setup with this mic was fully portable. Just needed to make sure the iPad was charged before starting. This is by far the simplest recording setup possible. One mic, one cable, one device.

Lars

And least expensive. I see they make a 2 Mic set for 2 channel recording.

I’m blown away! I have to check this out. I’ve been wanting an inexpensive, portable, DAW I can use for travel & remote Recording for years!