Gibson Brands Forums

Live Albums Or CD’s, Maybe A DVD Or Blue Ray.

Love live music, and when I listen to a live CD, or Vinyl Album, or watch a show on a DVD or Blue Ray, I want to hear, and or see the whole show, warts and all. Not just the best handpicked songs that the mistakes were later fixed in the studio. When you see a band live, it’s happening now. The band can’t stop and fix a mistake. Of course the term is called cheating. Read the liner notes for Peter Gabriel - Plays Live. At least he admits to doing it. I remember reading an interview with Michael Schenker and he was asked, if he went back and fixed any mistakes on Strangers In The Night, cuz, the album is just too perfect. He said there’s no way I fixed any of my mistakes because after that tour I left the group, and formed my own group. I wasn’t going back into the studio to fix any mistakes I made for a band I wasn’t even in anymore.

I’ve been listening to the deluxe Strangers In The Night. It’s got 6 full shows and the original album on it. If you like Michael era UFO (and who doesn’t), and if  it’s still available, get it. The Chicago and Louisville shows are the shows the classic live album came from. Both are in the set. Phil cracks me up with his stage banter.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

And the corollary for me is over-directed camera work during airings/videos of live performances.  Just let me see the whole stage and choose what I want to look at in any given moment.  Hang a camera midway somewhere in the good seats, and let it just record the action.  Then I can watch the show just like I was in the audience.  I don’t want to be zoomed up the singer’s nose while the guitar player is thumping a particularly heavy riff.  I don’t want my gaze directed or cut off to one part of the stage while something important may be happening on the other side.   I was watching a PBS ballet special once, I think it was the Harlem Ballet, and I swear to god the camera spent most of the highlight Pas de deux focused on the dancer’s faces! I was literally screaming at the TV.   

8 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

And the corollary for me is over-directed camera work during airings/videos of live performances…..  I don’t want to be zoomed up the singer’s nose while the guitar player is thumping a particularly heavy riff.  I don’t want my gaze directed or cut off to one part of the stage while something important may be happening

My nomination for most culpable bit of live gig camera direction ever…@ 2:21 in…but watch from start and see if hits you the same by all means.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 'Scales said:

My nomination for most culpable bit of live gig camera direction ever…@ 2:21 in…but watch from start and see if hits you the same by all means.

😄 yeah, that’s what I’m talking about, classic “wuhhh???” 😆

I remember watching the last time Plant, Page, and Jones got together with Jason and played Wembley. I watched the concert movie of it. Seemed like every 3 - 5 seconds the camera went to a different person in the band. I was getting motion sickness watching it. It was really annoying.