Gibson Brands Forums

Gibsons with Rosewood back & sides and ebony fretboard...love em!

kazzelectro

I've been looking for my next Gibby and I have come to conclude that it's probably going to have the above noted ingredients. I've tried a J-45 rosewood, Songwriter deluxe, and an older J-60 as well as a good 6 or 8 other guitars including an AJ (which has rosewood fretboard). I am convinced that there is something special about the rosewood/ebony combination. Opinions?

Though my present guitar is rosewood/ebony I have, in the past, always preferred the snap of mahogany backed instruments. Exactly how fingerboard wood figures into the tone equation I can't say with any authority but I do prefer the feel of unfinished ebony boards. I guess you have guitars now that are mahogany. Perhaps your ear is just hankerin' for a different sound....the familiar has become the pedestrian.....the lure of strange is beguiling......is it not?

Good point Buc. I have 4 mahogany backed guitars and they're just great! I've read that rosewood provides a wider frequency range...higher highs and lower lows...when compared to mahogany. I can definitely sense that when playing a rosewood guitar. I used to have a Martin HD-28 and as you say I am missing something now without it. As far the the fingerboard goes...my guess is that ebony is harder and/or denser than rosewood and I expect that this should have an affect on sound. ...and it's purdy to look at too.

rosewood/ebony combination. Opinions?

Currently I've got two accoustics with rosewood back and sides, one with maple and one with mahogany, as well as ebony and rosewood fretboards. The particular sound your after sometimes requires the choice of a specific tonewood on the body and/or top.

body - for me, rosewood produces the best low end and its response is more even form low to high with power and punch (koa gets near rosewood). The low end is typically less prominent from the other common body tonewoods like mahogany/sapele (great mid-range), maple (bright/jangly).

fretboard: rosewood is nice, but if you're a bender, after a few years you'll notice depressions worn in the fretboard on those frets where you do most of your bending. Ebony wears better in that regard. Some people say the tone is clearer off an ebony fretboard, I can't hear that myself. But like Buc McMaster, I like the feel of ebony better.

I have a 165 with rosewood and ebony. It has a darker, more chocolate sound than mahogany or bubinga. I think the stiffer fretboard does have some effect on the sound. Very full, lots of overtones. Lately I've been going the other direction: bell-like clarity and focus with maple. Seems like maple instruments have been a specialty of Gibson. You don't much hear people talk about maple Martins and other makes, I think.

Here's a link to a frequency tone chart... http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/features/woods/tone/default.aspx

I find it to be very useful in trying to define the differences in the tone woods with rosewood having the widest frequency range. I agree with Jerry's comment about rosewood being darker/deeper which I think allows you to experiment with string choices. For example, 80/20s do not sound particularly great on a hog j-45 (Phosphur Bronze is a far better choice). But you can usually get away with either 80/20s or PB on a rosewood guitar...differences in tone both great in their own way...at least to my ears.

Archived