Gibson Brands Forums

Advice for Gibsonifying a Japanese ES 335 Copy

Temelki

Hi guys,

I have a 1981 Phoenix (Tokai-made) 335 copy that my wife bought me 20 years ago. It is a remarkable guitar in terms of build quality and playability and for sentimental reasons I will never part with it. So I'm going to upgrade it and get it as close to the "real thing" as I can. 

I found the pickups I want but do you guys have any suggestions for what other electronics I will need to change? I'm changing the pots but do you think it needs new capacitors too?? 

sorry I'm not that techy when it comes to the guts of the guitar. 

On 10/18/2024 at 8:56 PM, Temelki said:

Hi guys,

I have a 1981 Phoenix (Tokai-made) 335 copy that my wife bought me 20 years ago. It is a remarkable guitar in terms of build quality and playability and for sentimental reasons I will never part with it. So I'm going to upgrade it and get it as close to the "real thing" as I can. 

I found the pickups I want but do you guys have any suggestions for what other electronics I will need to change? I'm changing the pots but do you think it needs new capacitors too?? 

sorry I'm not that techy when it comes to the guts of the guitar. 

You probably need to change everything that is electronic. What brand of stuff, don’t have a clue, but others might.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper