Gibson Brands Forums

Gibby AJ going up for sale (possible trade?) Available again!

Guest NattyBumppo

Guest NattyBumppo

AJ back on the sale/trade block. Price drop to $1500.00 with buyer paying shipping and insurance.

As much as I really would like to keep this guitar, it really doesn't make sense for me. I talked myself into thinking that the very slight V neck profile on the AJ wouldn't cause me the fretting hand pain I experienced with the very pronounced V on the EF-500 Materbuilt I had a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, the hand pain happens with the AJ also after about 20-30 minutes of playing. Maybe it's my playing posture, hand size, the onset of carpel tunnel....who knows. All I do know is that my Les Paul, Hummingbird Artist (neck profile like a SWD), and every Taylor I've ever had never caused me any problems at all. I can play the HB-A all night with zero problems.

So here it is, a Custom Shop, maple/sitka, short scale AJ in glorious Gibby burst (sides are burst too). I recently had an ivory nut and saddle installed by the pro at my local Authorized Gibson Dealer and it also has very nice Colosi bone pins installed (I have the original nut, saddle, and pins). Of course it comes with the Gibson case (a much nicer case than the HB-A) and will ship in the original Gibson Acoustic box it arrived in.

The guitar was purchased in June of 2007 and is in pretty much the same condition it arrived save for the upgrades I mentioned above. Few, if any pick marks, some slight polish swirls on the top upper bout and a small, slight haze where the right arm rests over the lower bout when playing seated (which actually was there when I got it). The maple back is very nicely bookmatched with an interesting mix of grain and tiger striping. It plays wonderfully..... fast flatpicking, sounds beautiful as a strummer/accompaniment to singing, and it's voice really carries if you dig in! No problem hearing this lady in a crowd of Martins!

In the interest of everything being on the up and up and no hidden secrets, this guitar was repaired, under warranty, by the good folks at the Gibson Acoustic factory in Bozeman, MT shortly after arriving at my locale. The two forward top most back braces were re-glued about half an inch from where the brace tucks under the notched kerfing. The spot was about half an inch long and the Bozeman folks assured me in both phone conversation and email that it was a very minor repair, fast repair and that it is as strong or stronger than new. Anyway, the repair was made by Gibson it hasn't been an issue since.

I'm asking $1500.00 for the AJ plus shipping and insurance. I may be willing to entertain partial or full trades...something obviously NOT with a V neck. Perhaps a RW/Sitka LC-1 Cascade or J-185? Here is a link to a slideshow (and yes, I'm a HORRIBLE photog). I can also email the picks separately if requested. If interested, please email me at nbumppo at yahoo dot com and put Gibson Forum AJ in the subject line.

Slideshow link;

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m181/pitchm/Gibson%20Custom%20Shop%20AJ/?action=view&current=978ae2fa.pbw

Thanks,

Natty

Natty -- I'm interested in your guitar. But I like to play them before I buy them! Where are you located?

Also, are you the original owner? Was the reglueing of the braces done on your watch or while the guitar belonged to some previous owner?

Thanks,

DDD

Guest NattyBumppo

Hey Dadeedo,

I'm in Northwestern, NJ....lower Sussex County. If you're in the area, by all means you are welcome to come and give it a play.

I am the original owner and yes, the repair was done a month or so after I took shipment of the guitar.

Please email me if you would like to arrange a try and thanks for the interest.

NB

Guest NattyBumppo

To be honest, I don't know about all AJs, or even J45s. I do know that this custom run of AJs, and the recently re-released custom shop "Original Jumbos" with the mahogany b&s and adi tops have the same slight V.

All emails replied to. Thanks to all for the interest.

Guest NattyBumppo

***********UPDATE***************

Local sale pending to a frequent jamming buddy.

Thanks to everyone for the interest.

NB

Guest NattyBumppo
You have mail. I am interested. send pics to markwillplay@embarqmail.com thanks' date=' Mark[/quote']

Got your PM. Thanks.

Guest NattyBumppo

The AJ is back on the block. Seems the idea of buying another guitar caused a bit of tension between my friend and his lovely wife. Basically, if he wanted the AJ he would have had to sell one of his Martins...something he didn't want to do.

So it's back on the sale block with a price drop to $1500 plus shipping and insurance. Please email inquiries to nbumppo at yahoo dot com.

Guest NattyBumppo

Thanks for the offer Doc. Had a few offers on rw 165s, very nice guitars! Replied to your email.

Anyone with a maple/sitka 185 looking to trade?

Archived