Gibson Brands Forums

How high?

Flight959

Guys/gals,

I know this is a fairly subjective question as the answer could come down to personal preference, but how high is too high for the action on a classical acoustic. I was told by a friend who recently played my recent addition, that classical guitars should have higher action than regular acoustics...

Regards

You are spot on - the answer MUST come down to personal preference.

Your friend is just plain weird - there are no rules, it's what suits you and your playing and your music.

Ain't no should involved. He talks through a hole other than his mouth.

And his brain is all bran and bias.

Ignore his foolishness.

Play guitar.

Enjoy

Yea, its just like any other guitar. Personal preference and playing style is what matters.

If you have a heavy attack higehr action is probably best, if you have a light touch than not so much.

I was told by a friend ........... that classical guitars should have higher action than regular acoustics...

"Should have" is not so much the proper description as "NEED to". Due to the low tension of nylon strings, the strings NEED to be higher off the fretboard to avoid flapping and rattling against the frets. You will never be able to setup any nylon string guitar with low action like most of us like our steel stringed guitars to have.

Plus, with traditional classical and flamenco fingerstyle technique, you do not want the strings too low.

You will never be able to setup any nylon string guitar with low action like most of us like our steel stringed guitars to have.

Exactly. Classical nylon string guitars do not have truss rods or adjustable bridges. No need for neck reinforcement since the tension of nylon strings is so low. You get what you get and trust that the builder knew what they were doing.

Archived