Gibson Brands Forums

1959 vs 1960 reissue

Steven Latch

Hi,

I have just spotted an very nice looking flame top 1960 reissue. I usually prefer the 1959's type of neck and own a les paul traditonal with has a 50's neck.

In spite of the shallower neckm I'm really tempted by this 60's.

Is there any noticeable difference apart from this?

Thanks

The 60's neck is a lot slimmer than the 50's. The R0 also has the double ringed tuners... The only real difference between the 58, 59 and 60 is the top except the 60 has the thinnest neck..

Regards

Steven, the neck on that reissue may be called a 60s neck but it's fatter than your Traditional's neck.

Gibson USA '50s and '60s necks are a lot different than Custom Shop '50s and '60s necks.

Poor decision on Gibson's part to call them the same thing.

I have two R9's and one R0 - and the R0 is my 'go to' guitar, always. They are generally rarer too, with less production.

The neck is extremely comfortable - and due to the profile/thickness, it feels more 'playable'. Bigger chords can be reached, and the tone is markedly different to a thicker necked R9, R8 or other. I would say the R0 has a brighter shimmery sound, and a bit more crunch when it's driven. Less muddy, and more clarity...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I was not able to compare the RO with other Gibsons directly, namely a traditionnal. But that 60's neck seemed pretty thin. I'll go and check it again. The guitar is really nice but at this price level I didn't want to do a "rush" purchase.

Archived