Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Custom 10th Anniversary? Help me please!

starfoxhound

Hi everyone!

Again asking for your knowledge.

I want to buy a Gibson Les Paul Custom 10th Anniversary edition.

This are the pics I have from the seller from Mexico (I'm from Mexico and the same city, so I'll be seeing the guitar befor paying it).

The thing is: I do not have enough experience on Custom Les Pauls (this would be my second one).

Does this edition have COA?

How is the case suposed to be?

Which pickups should it have?

Pickups, pickguard and trussrod cover are "engraved", were they really all different? (I see there were 50 made "Blue Book of Guitars")

Can you give me any tips to see if it is really an original Gibson Custom?

Maybe dated pots? Tuners brand? Logo? 10th Anniversary inlay? Anything will help.

I have some pics, here they are:

3537343343_a416b48f05.jpg?v=0

3537343807_5ea3f05b2d.jpg?v=0

3538156996_bd19125c3e.jpg?v=0

3538156934_85971b822a.jpg?v=0

3537343563_034ec4833c.jpg?v=0

3538156720_b4e9db8d40.jpg?v=0

Have you seen this pics in eBay or craigslist? Do you know if these pics maybe were stolen?

Have you seen a 10th Anniversary edition counterfeit guitar?

Please, let me know any info you have.

Ok, thanks all of you again and have a nice weekend!!!

I've never seen one like that before but that one looks real. No idea about the pickups. Your best bet would be to contact Gibson customer service and ask them. Email those pictures to them.

Gibson Les Paul Custom 10th Anniversary edition? 10th anniversary of what? The Custom came out in 1954 and that obviously can't be a 1964 Custom. It is a 10th anniversary of the Custom with weight-relief and short neck tenon? That would be odd. :-

It looks like it has an ABR-1. I've only seen that bridge on solid Les Pauls. When to go to check out the guitar, see if you can lift the neck pickup and see if it has long neck tenon. Regular Customs don't have long tenon and 9 holes cut out of the body. Here's a shot of my Custom's (non) tenon. It's a 2007.

Silverburst064.jpg

I've never seen one like that before but that one looks real. No idea about the pickups. Your best bet would be to contact Gibson customer service and ask them. Email those pictures to them.

Gibson Les Paul Custom 10th Anniversary edition? 10th anniversary of what? The Custom came out in 1954 and that obviously can't be a 1964 Custom. It is a 10th anniversary of the Custom with weight-relief and short neck tenon? That would be odd. :-s

It looks like it has an ABR-1. I've only seen that bridge on solid Les Pauls. When to go to check out the guitar' date=' see if you can lift the neck pickup and see if it has long neck tenon. Regular Customs don't have long tenon and 9 holes cut out of the body. Here's a shot of my Custom's (non) tenon. It's a 2007.

[img']http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Gibson_Tim/Silverburst064.jpg[/img]

Thanks for your tip, I didn't know about this long/short tenon spec, so I did a little research, still I do not understand the "Regular Customs don't have long tenon and 9 holes cut out of the body." Can you please explain me the 9 holes that cut out the body?

About the 10th Anniversary, according to Blue Book of Guitars, Gibson Custom Shop moved into a separate facility in 1993, so in 2003 they celebrated 10th years as a separate operation. This is a 1968 reissue model, I do not know the relation between dates, but that's how they did it, also BBoG states only 50 were made, but I've seen other websites states 40 and some other 70, so don't know whom should I trust.

Also found this website selling another one, http://www.usaguitars.co.uk/cs10th.html guitar seems to look the same, I'm taking specs from this link to compare once when I have the other one in my hands.

Thanks again!

The 9 holes - click on the "Les Paul Body Construction" in my signature and you'll understand.

If that's a '68RI' date=' then it is solid and it has long neck tenon. Also has a maple top and (most likely) '57 Classic pickups.[/quote']

Now I get you. Ok, so, it has to be solid body, it should have long tenon and '57 classics PU.

That was helpful, thanks!

Any other info about how to know authenticity will be useful too.

Anyway I've sent an e-mail to service@gibson.com, hope the can help me with some tips.

Unfortunately, Mexico is flooded with chinise guitars, so I have to check it is 100% real before paying it.

Another thing, how COA is suposed to be? Any watermarks or just a normal printed sheet?

Thank you for your answers Are Nine!

Should be an 8-1/2" x 11" COA. I have two of them like that and the serial number is typed on one and hand-printed on the other.

The one in the pictures you posted is real. You can just look at it and tell it's a real Gibson.

I'm guessing the serial number should be something like 03xxx8.

Should be an 8-1/2" x 11" COA. I have two of them like that and the serial number is typed on one and hand-printed on the other.

The one in the pictures you posted is real. You can just look at it and tell it's a real Gibson.

I'm guessing the serial number should be something like 03xxx8.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know what happens once I see it or buy it.

• 2 years later...
[thumbup] Hi there i was looking for specs about the 68 reissue to, when i came accros this site: I bought 1 today it was sitting in a store for 8 years behind glass that's what ive heard from the shop keeper. After holding it and playing it i was like wow! that is 1 bad arse guitar with some body weight and a thick neck. And i started the resurse on were it was made and if it is real, still is a mistery. So what i did when i got home was that i untied all gold plating to see if i could find something to help me besides the serial number that i could not retrace acurate, At the backs of all gold hardware was the name of the ingraver the date and the number #40 .So now i atleast got something more to research with, (you should check if the engraver marked the hardware). besides that it was bit funny becouse some parts he did he marked 8-28-03 and some at 8-29-03 (it seems he worked on the pieces for more day's) with the name and forgive me if ima wrong couse its bit hard to read but the name say's: Donel or (Danel) (thounkey) [unsure] . Anyhow the man did a great job it looks great, now if some one could tell me if the serial number:033648 is authentic i would be a happy man i got the certificate to but you never know [unsure] .Cheers all

Archived