Gibson Brands Forums

A rarity--a good night at work!!

wicked1

So, I'm in a position where last night was probably the last night that I'll be able to work in my current position. (Basically, I was hired as one of several part-time folks to fill in for an employee on military LOA who just got back from Iraq. So my hours are gone). I arrived at work feeling pretty down and not looking forward to the shift at all.

I get my patient assignment for the night and go to work. Well, my 2nd patient turned out to be one helluva cool guy. He's one of those old stoner types that managed to live through the 70's & 80's. It always cracks me up when you ask them about past/current use of street drugs. Most people give you a "I only tried it once, I swear!" This dude is like--"Yeah, I smoked pot every chance I could!" We just had an instant connection talking about music and tattoos and life in general. It's rare that it happens, but it's always so great when it does!

So we're talking music and somehow "Hotel California" came into the conversation and he tells me that he never could quite get into that song. Says the only other song he's felt that way about (and I knew before he said it) was "Stairway to Heaven." At first I thought it might be a religious thing, but no....he just says he never really understood the songs. He says to me...."What IS a bustle and how did it get into my hedgerow???" I think I laughed for 2 hours after that with my co-worker.

This morning, he actually said to me---"I was gonna ask you--What's your band's name again and who's your tattoo artist?" LOL I can honestly say it is the first time I have ever given a patient info about my tattoo artist!

And, of course, the best feeling ever was when he walked out and said, "Thank you. You really made me feel so much more at ease about this whole thing!" :P

It may have been the last shift I ever work there, but it was worth it. There's nothing better than knowing you helped someone at least feel a little better about having to spend the night in the hospital.

=D>

Well done. Hospitals can be scarey places....I was told years ago that "bustle in your hedgerow" was a reference to a young womans first " monthly cycle" ....I thought about it...then gave up! lol

LOL It's probably one of my least favorite Zep songs. A former "boss" suggested that the main reason I didn't like Stairway was because a whole bunch of nitwits who knew nothing of music *did* love it!! I will freely admit that the musicianship is awesome, but I just never understood all the hype associated with it.

But yeah---I spent enough time in hospitals as a kid that I kinda understand what it's like for the average patient. Still--you can't beat the feeling associated with someone saying "I was really worried about this until I met you."

Are you a nurse working for a service?

Do you have your RN license?

If so maybe you can get on with a traveling nurse service. They're popular out here in CA.

Those nurses make great money too.

I am not a nurse, but I have applied with an agency that does travelling 'services.' (Homz doesn't want me to give out so many details that anybody in the world could find me, so I am purposely vague). I'm looking into the possibility of temp positions--13 weeks or so--at $25-$30 per hour! And on top of that benefits like insurance and continuing education. Luckily for me, I still have the opportunity to go back to my last employer and make decent money. I just absolutely hated working there! LOL

I know it makes no sense, but if you don't anybody working in health care, you just can't comprehend the kind of crap we put up with on a daily (or nightly) basis. I am actually more alert and focused late at night, but working midnights for the last few years is really taking its toll on my health. Right now, I'm hoping we can book enough weekend gigs that I don't have to go back full time!! LOL

Great post.

When folks are ill, there's nothing better than health care professionals who can interact on personal level (especially with some humor). That's too often missing in today's hospitals, nursing homes, and even in the doc's office.

Great post.

When folks are ill' date=' there's nothing better than health care professionals who can interact on personal level (especially with some humor). That's too often missing in today's hospitals, nursing homes, and even in the doc's office.[/quote']

The biggest thing I have learned through work is that our nurses, aides, and techs are treated like crap on a regular basis! I *know* it sucks to be in the hospital or have surgery or have some kind of extensive testing. I made it my mission to make sure that whenever I was a patient, I would call my nurse and the nurse's aide by their first name and I would thank them. From this side of things, I can tell you----there are way too many patients who take out all their frustrations on the people who are busting their butts to help them. If you take nothing else away from one of my posts, know this........

Health care workers do not go into the field for the money (for the most part--anybody on a sub-doctor level is probably not in it for the cash). We truly are trying to help people and improve their quality of life. In fact, my co-workers and I often wonder why we do certain things because it will probably end up having a negative impact on quality of life (or at least no positive effect). It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to learn your nurse's name. Use it. You have no idea the boost it gives us when a patient cares enough to use our name and tell the supervisor that we made you feel more comfortable with the testing or procedures that needed to be done. We know what we're asking of patients, but we really do care that our patients leave the facility with a better quality of life.

One of my patients last night ended up discontinuing treatment even though he really needed it. I really felt like I failed that patient because I couldn't find anything that would help his situation. As much as I felt I'd accomplished with my other patient, I really felt horrible that I couldn't find a solution that would improve the health of this one. Still he was a good patient. You might be surprised how many people will use their fear as a reason to lash out at the person who is the main care-giver. I totally understand it in a toddler or pre-schooler, but when it comes from an adult..........it hurts.

Believe me, I can look at my W-2 and tell you I don't do this job for the money.

Archived