Gibson Brands Forums

New J45

misterj45

Hi to everyone on the forum, it's great to be here. I've been a lurker here for a long time, and I'm always learning, and I appreciate all the knowledge. I owned a J-45 a few year ago, and it was fantastic, tons of mojo. For whatever reason, I still can't for the life of me remember why (I think it was an insane gas attack), I sold it. I've been waiting to buy another one, and I finally pulled the trigger and got a brand new one.

You know, I read an awful lot of Gibson bashing on other forums, talking about how spotty the QC is in Bozeman and how hit and miss the guitars are. Now, I'm left handed, so I have less to compare than you righties, but I have not picked up a Gibson in the last ten years that didn't sound fantastic. Every single one, and I think I've got a pretty good ear. It's usually people who just have an axe to grind. The J45 I just bought was manufactured in February of this year, and when I cracked the case the smell of laquer filled the air. It was flawless, in perfect condition. I tuned it up, and I damn near cried at how beautiful it sounded. It's got a long, long way until it opens up, I know, but I could feel very comfortable playing it in any venue right now, knowing it has the perfect Gibson sound. Fingerpicking, flatpicking, this thing does it all with Gibson style.

I do have a question, and forgive me for being long-winded: what kind of strings are these things shipped with when they leave Bozeman? I'm guessing Elixirs, because the strings definitely feel coated. I've always used John Pearse mediums, but even though these feel a little slick, they sound great, and I'd like to keep playing with them. Anyone have any info on the strings?

Thanks, MisterJ45

Now I'm looking for a brand new, left-handed hummingbird!

Welcome to the forum. Yes, there is a lot of Gibson bashing on other forums, but it's usually done by people who have never played a recent Bozeman era Gibson acoustic. You've picked a fine model in the J-45. Hope it provides you many years of enjoyment. They ship the guitars from Bozeman with Gibson Masterbuilt lights. Your J-45 should handle mediums just fine, though. I personally believe mediums sound much better and run them on all of my J-45's.

Thanks one and all. I've been a Gibson fan for a looong time and I'm so digging my J45. I'm kind of surprised that they shipped them w/masterbuilts, they feel like a coated string. Weird. I'm going to keep lights on them for awhile, let the guitar break in, then I'll be moving into some mediums. Now, I need to find me a Hummingbird.

Archived