Gibson Brands Forums

New SG or a 2005 SG Supreme?

jmr986

I saw a beautiful SG Supreme on CL for a $1,300. But with the recent price drop from Gibson am I better off buying a brand new SG. The price on the used SG seems OK, but I defer to the experts. I looked at completed auctions on ebay and prices are all over.

Just started playing agains and am gassing for a SG.

They're two very different guitars. The Supreme body is half maple and half mahogany, plus the fingerboard is ebony. It's a much brighter, "woodier" sounding guitar. One model isn't necessarily better than the other, just different. You'd need to try both and see which one you like.

The MidnightBurst is probably one of the more sought after colors, so $1300 isn't a bad price if it's in decent shape.

The photos were kind of dark, so here's what the color really looks like (not me, by the way).

SG.jpg

DSC01949.jpg

Just my two cents, but there will always be used (or new) Standards available if you decide to go that route, but I know guys who have been searching a long time for one of those Supremes. At that price, you could always get your money back and pick up a Standard. Who knows, he might even take a bit less for it.

I was in the same boat last year. Try looking for scratch & dents - I found my Fireburst on the Musician's Friend scratch & dent list for $1650 !! And it is officially brand new.

I ended up buying both the Supreme & a new nat burst Standard from Sweetwater (their warehouse is 5 miles from my house). I was only going to keep the Supreme if it was perfect - and it was. Not sure why it was on the list, the guy on the phone told me that sometimes people will buy them knowing that they can't afford it & return the guitar within the 30 day money back period.

And by the way, the Supreme is the sweetest playing thing that you will ever hold. It is on par with much higher end PRS, ect.

I'd go for the Supreme. I recently acquired a 2002 Midnightburst (blue) one with a few nicks and scratches, nothing major, for a good price, and it's the best SG I've ever owned--both of my others would be vintage now if I still had them (a '67 Standard bought new, and a '65 I had in the late-'80's-early-'90's), and neither of them sounded as good as my Supreme. Once I got it set up (it really needed it when I got it), it plays great too. $1300's a good price for that one you're considering, if it's in good shape--they seem to run between $1200-$1600.

Archived