Gibson Brands Forums

My visit to Nashville - SGs at the Opry Mills Gibson Shop

Geff

So I went to Nashville this weekend and, while there, I decided to pay a visit to the Gibson Shop to look at SGs.

Here is what I found.

First the prices - all guitars were tagged with the MSRP. Actual price had to be got from one of two salespeople who had a list. The actual prices were, as far as I could tell, the pre-price-drop online prices but, of course, tax also had to be added.

They had two RAW POWER guitars in. Literally two, no more stock in the back! One was natural and one satin white. The natural had a great neck but was made of multiple pieces of wood with very obvious grain differences. Wherever there was a joint, it was obvious. This included a less than paerfect neck to body joint and spoiled the guitar for me. The satin white one looked good but had a nasty ridge along both sides of the neck where the painted neck met the fretboard and had not been sanded down to make a smooth join. The asking price was as for internet but plus tax made it more expensive.

They had a number of special fadeds that were far better than previous examples I have seen. The necks were well finished. The only issue I could see on them was the joint of neck to body, which on some looked less than perfect with an uneven gap filled with glue and may have affected sustain. Unfortunately they wanted the old price of around $899 - plus tax.

The great guitar of the day was a standard in classic cherry red. It was definately a one piece body. The neck was perfect. The colour was red, not orange. I would have bought it on the spot had it not been for the price which was still the "old" price of $1600 and change - plus tax of course. had it been the new price I would have jumped on it.

I looked at a number of other guitars and it seems to me, bound or unbound, that gibson have real issues with necks both in terms of finish with noteable ridges where the fretboard/binding meet the main part of the neck and with the actual joint of the neck to the body that seemed less than a perfect fit, with glue acting as a filler!

As far as the shop goes, it wasnt great. This is supposed to be Gibsons flagship store and the selection of guitars was far from complete. Also the salespeople were not that knowledgeable and the pricing policy needs review. Id say the store was set up more for tire-kickers than for musicians and in the hope of ripping off the occasional rich tourist!

Wow.....

I went there last fall and was impressed. My sales guy told me (wink, wink) they would match MAP, and beat it if they had a blem, scratch, ect.

I didn't buy that day, but ended up buying 2 new Gibsons last year (my 339, and an '08 Fireburst Studio Les Paul for my daughter) and the 1933 Gibson A-00 Mandolin from Gruhns (on Broadway, downtown) that I DID buy that day.

I LOVE going to Nashville......

Best of luck.

Murph.

I was going to look on broadway but fell in with a bad crowd and ended up drinking my time away instead of shopping (I can feel a country or maybe blues song in there somewhere "too drunk to shop"). Nashville is a blast if you like or can even tolerate country music! Grand Old Opry was a little too heavy on the "Old" for my tastes but you live and learn! I have since ordered an SG you wont find in the Nashville store (see my other post about my Classic with P90s bargain) but I am still glad I went and had a look around.

Next stop Memphis and Graceland!

I haven't been to Memphis in 10 years, but be sure to go to Sun Studios. Ain't much to look at, but mucho mojo........

It's a lot smaller, less touristy downdown area. But, more bluesy and less pop Country.

Gibson has a small store there too, or they did.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Archived