Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard for Advanced Jumbo

Eddie Rondack

Does anyone know whether the pickguard for the L-00 is the same size as the one for the AJ? I know that they're the same shape and they look like the same size, but does anyone know for sure? The one on my AJ is starting to lift...

I made an attempt to go through GC to get one from Gibson, but that's too much like pulling teeth...

Guitar Gallery has Greven Tor-Tis repros of the L-00 pickguard... if they're right for the AJ, that's what I'm probably gonna do...

Thanks!

That's a damn tough question to answer with 100% certainty. I looked at some pics on the vintage guitar website and they appear to be the same size, but I can't find any measurements. With the L-00 being smaller, the pickguard almost touches the edge of the body. On the AJ it doesn't come nearly as close to the edge. I used my extra keen eyesight to look only at the outline of the pickguard (while blocking out the remaining body of the guitars) and it certainly looks to be identical size - but again, I'm not sure I'd bet anything substantial on that claim.

Good luck and let me know what you find out!

• 2 years later...

The pickguards are exactly the same shape and size. the pickguard on my advanced jumbo has lifted in the corner due to recent weather, and having some money to gamble with, I bought a tortoiseshell pattern pickguard advertised as being for an L-00. It is exactly the same shape and size and I will be putting it on sometime this week.

Wow... an answer to a 2 year old question! I sold the AJ in question last year but currently have a new one on order from Gibson... with a 1.77" nut width, drop-in (short) saddle and adirondack top/braces... so the info may still come in handy!

Can't wait to get it!

Wow... an answer to a 2 year old question! I sold the AJ in question last year but currently have a new one on order from Gibson... with a 1.77" nut width' date=' drop-in (short) saddle and adirondack top/braces... so the info may still come in handy!

Can't wait to get it!

[/quote']

Wow... is that a Custom Shop order then? My AJ obviously has the 1.725" nut and the long saddle with the Standard Sitka top.... Great guitar, love to see a new thread with photos when you get the custom AJ!

• 2 weeks later...
Wow... an answer to a 2 year old question! I sold the AJ in question last year but currently have a new one on order from Gibson... with a 1.77" nut width' date=' drop-in (short) saddle and adirondack top/braces... so the info may still come in handy!

Can't wait to get it!

[/quote']

My two favourite flattop guitars. A prewar J200 and an Advanced Jumbo

Archived