Gibson Brands Forums

Addicted to tweaking

cdntac

I think I'm addicted to adjusting the action and neck of my Byrdland. With the continually changing humidity at this time of year --- combined with the fact that I have the action set snake low --- some days I get a bit of string buzz and others I don't.

I find I'm constantly tweaking the height of the bridge or giving the truss rod a miniscule twist.

I'm driving myself nuts.....

I would do the same thing when I first got my Gibsons, realized I was being compulsive about it. Even if it was slightly out of tune up the neck it would drive me crazy! Of course I've matured since then and realize, nothing is perfect!

I know some guitar players who don't even know how to adjust the bridge/saddles to try and get the proper intonation, and they think truss rod adjustments are as complicated as rocket science. I've learned that I set up Gibson, mostly to the standard specs, and let it go at that.

The more you tweak it, with so many different variables effecting the guitar, such as humidity, heat, or cold, age of strings, it will drive you insane!

Just have fun and play the guitar!

I'll admit to being a little compulsive about it. [-o<

A few days ago I realized that the notes at the first fret were a little too sharp so I ever-so-slightly made the nut grooves a bit lower this afternoon. That made a big difference.

Gotta stop obsessing.....

I'll admit to being a little compulsive about it. O:)

Gotta stop obsessing.....

Anal?

:-

Mother Nature will beat you, my friend. It's wood.

Get it close, and play it.

Murph.

With the continually changing humidity at this time of year --- combined with......

The 14-67 strings on my L-5 & L-7 will outweight ANY changes in temp and humidity (and I live in St. Louis). Time to take those 10's off the Byrdland and become an adult. Archtop guitars were made for heavy string guages. When these guitars were originally designed and built, nobody had even though of Slinky's.

Work your way up to heavier string guages and this problem will go away, plus that Byrdland will sound 10x better.

I tweak for fun, experiment, and knowledge! It's part of playing the instrument. I tweak and tweak and always end up with the same settings....lol... but always fun to practice with various tweakings.

Archived