Gibson Brands Forums

Classic Antique VS Standard

Stewie

I am really at a cross roads here. I really love the 57 Classic/Classic plus, 60s neck and Heritage Cherry burst.

I am really stuck between a Classic Antique and the Standard with the BBuckers. I don't want to get into the Ceramic pickup issues that a lot of people have voiced on this forum. I like the covered pickup look and I am really looking for a plain top. What I am asking is people who have experienced both these guitars to chime in and give me the pros and cons so I can make my decision.

Tim: I have been around these forums long enough to know that I would not buy a guitar without trying it myself.

What I am trying to find out is what people have found positively and negatively about either guitar. There might be something that I have overlooked in my arriving at the choice between the two. I own a 68 SG, 1990 ES335, a 2008 Studio, and a 2006 Elitist LP Custom. I am looking for a Gibson LP Classic or Standard and I don't want the Ceramics.

The difference is about 3 hundred dollar Can. We don't get a lot of used Standards up here and it would be cheaper to buy new than try to bring one into the country with the duties and taxes.

Stewie, that's not always true.

I live in Southern Ontario, not sure how far north you are. I bought an ES-335 from NY state - drove down, bought it, drove back. Even with all the duty I had to pay, it was still less than the sticker price at L & M.

I am further South than you.

I have a relative in Maine, so I can pick one up and bring it back without duty. But I would like to be able to play it first.

I have purchased a few items from L&M in Burlington, actually even before they were L&M Remember Lakeshore music! Most of my purchases are local since the new prices have really made it worth while. Our local guys have come way down. I recently purchased a Studio in Fireburst for 1099, plus tax.

first thing is first, once you cross borders, the gibson warranty is void, regardless of which way you go (ie buy a guitar in canada, and go home to the states, or vise versa... same with buying online...)

Second, my experience made me buy a custom classic, pretty much the same as an antique, just without a flame top. You really won't regret the '57 p/u combo, they are the best around IMO... I found the burstbuckers slightly thin and sterile in comparison, I could never really pinpoint why, they just didn't do it for me... Then I played the custom classic and it was and instantaneous YES.

Seriously, the only differences between the Standard and the Classic Antique are the pickups and the cosmetic details.

The 57 Classic/Classic Plus pickup set in the Classic Antique is only slighter hotter than the BBs in the Standard, so there won't be much tonal difference.

I bought a Classic Antique simply because, all other things being close to equal, I liked the appearance better - particularly the bound headstock.

I bought a Classic Antique simply because' date=' all other things being close to equal, I liked the appearance better - particularly the bound headstock. [/quote']

+1.

If you don't mind the slim neck, and you are to choose between Standard w/ 60 neck and Classic Antique,

I'd go with the CA if I were you. Beside the pickups, I just love the bound head stock! Damn, it looks good!

But if you want that classic appearance of a LP, I guess a Std. is the choice.

first thing is first' date=' once you cross borders, the gibson warranty is void, regardless of which way you go (ie buy a guitar in canada, and go home to the states, or vise versa... same with buying online...)[/quote']

The warranty is not void. You’re misinformed. You have to take the guitar back to the country where it was purchased. I just went through this with my ES, so I know. The pickups weren’t positioned properly. I called Gibson, they said I had to take it to a luthier in the US and gave me his contact info. I was going down anyways, so dropped it off, showed the receipt and that was that…no problems.

I have only purchased one guitar and had it sent to my relatives. It was an Elitist Custom that I got for 799 at MF. At the time the Canadian price was 1999 msrp. The street price was between 1400 and 1600 Can. PLus 15% tax.

There was no tax through MF and the dollar was about 17%. It cost me about 935 Can. I delared it at the border, and because my wife and I have a 1500 dollar deductible between us, after one week I didn't have to pay. Technically I would have had to pay because it was over my individual limit but they didn't charge me.

Now with the current dollar I can get a Standard for 2299, and a Classic antique for 1939 plus 13% tax..

I can also play the guitar and have a pro set up done for free. So I am basically getting the same guitar with the pickups I like. I am also getting the bound headstock. I guess my only issue is the 57s compared to the BBs.

Are the rest of the electronics the same? I have already asked about covering the PUs and I can get that done for about 30 dollars plus the cost of the covers.

Archived