Gibson Brands Forums

"66" ES-335 Gold Top

bassguitom

I just got this instrument from my Father-in-Law, it has been in his closet for 40 years. I am to pay him 75% of its value and have not been able to find anything on line to help determine what it is worth.

Serial #855027 says it is a 1966, the label inside is missing. It has original Grover tuners. The finish has been abused but the instrument is in otherwise good condition and it plays like a dream.

Any information or advice is appreciated. I have not seen any other 335 gold top anywhere!

Perhaps you should take the guitar to a reputable guitar shop and ask them to give you a valuation. Alternatively, you could check eBay listings of similar age 335's when listed.

If original, a Goldtop '66 335 is probably rare and Grovers not usual standard tuners, (klusons usually)...Perhaps a Custom Order... ? Can you post a pic so we can see the colour? Also, Gibson used to produce a 'sparkling Burgundy' metallic, (similar to Fender's Candy Apple Red) and I have seen a '67 'sparkling Burgundy' 335 that had turned a 'dark gold', (there were gold flakes in the original lacquer mix)...

• 2 months later...

I was just watching the making of "No World for Tomorrow" the last Coheed and Cambria album that came out and they were using a gold top 335. It looked like a custom job because there were no pickguard holes in the top but that may be a jumping off point for you. Happy hunting.

Thanks for the info!

I have found out since my first listing that the guitar was refinished, therefore its collectability value is gone, it is just a really good player with all of the vintage tone.

I have heard that Gibson is now making a gold top 335 as a signature series.

I wonder if it is a Sparkling Burgundy finish that has faded to gold. They're known to do that. Are there any reddish areas in the finish?

And I must say that mid to late 60's ES-335s don't get enough love, mainly because of the narrow neck. But many players, myself included, have found out that they can be fabulous to play.

Archived