Gibson Brands Forums

i need big help with my guitar!

tommo666

in need of serious help i had just re-strung my epiphone korina explorer when the strings were off i was hungry so i got some food, i come back and my bro is polishing the guitar the pickups at the time, so i tell him to get away from my guitar and i keep re stringing, i plug her in and it was playing fine, phone rings i answer it chat get more food then go back to my guitar plug her in and the is a crazy amount of noise, i try playing and i can barly here my guitar, i really need to know whats wrong with her i have a gig in 5 days and i wanna know if i need new pick ups, please help.[-o<

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Does the noise stop when you touch any of the metal parts of the guitar? Does it happen with and withuot distortion or only with distortion?

Did you try to connect the amp to another outlet?

If you can open the back control plate and take a pic it will make it easier to help.

If the noise doesnt stop when you touch any metal then it might be the ground wire that's gotten lose from the stop tail.

Open the control cavity and look for it (its a single wire with black covering that should go from one of the pots into the wood in the stop tail's direction), plug the guitar, touch that wire, if the noise stops it's that.

If it doesnt stop it might be something else, are the pickups covered? if they arent then maybe your brother pured something into them by accident.

in need of serious help i had just re-strung my epiphone korina explorer when the strings were off i was hungry so i got some food' date=' i come back and my bro is polishing the guitar the pickups at the time, so i tell him to get away from my guitar and i keep re stringing, i plug her in and it was playing fine, phone rings i answer it chat get more food then go back to my guitar plug her in and the is a crazy amount of noise, i try playing and i can barly here my guitar, i really need to know whats wrong with her i have a gig in 5 days and i wanna know if i need new pick ups, please help.:D [/quote']

Edited by mod; Hazing is against the posted rules of this forum but i would definitely bring it in to a tech to look at. Could be the output jack, could be the bridge ground, could be a bunch of crap got into a pot, could be a bad lead coming off of the eyelets of one of the pickups. Unless you're an excellent solderer there's not much you can do with a limited knowledge of guitar electronics. Bring it to someone who can figure it out.

in need of serious help i had just re-strung my epiphone korina explorer when the strings were off i was hungry so i got some food' date=' i come back and my bro is polishing the guitar the pickups at the time, so i tell him to get away from my guitar and i keep re stringing, i plug her in and it was playing fine, phone rings i answer it chat get more food then go back to my guitar plug her in and the is a crazy amount of noise, i try playing and i can barly here my guitar, i really need to know whats wrong with her i have a gig in 5 days and i wanna know if i need new pick ups, please help.[-o< [/quote']

What was he 'polishing' the pick-ups with? Coca Cola? I think that may be your problem.

Archived