Gibson Brands Forums

1974 SG Standard dilemma

Lukesteele

Hi folks..I've recently upgraded to a epiphone les paul standard and its just lovely! I've owned my SG with scalloped neck!..purchased that way,, for some 30 years and in my younger days replaced the tail piece and bridge with a one piece schaller bridge.. duhh..to do that meant I had to redrill the mounting holes for it..and patch up the holes..ugly mess there. I also replaced the nut with a brass one..and replaced the pickups with original '82 bill lawrence twin blade pickups. XL500's..I never liked the sound I got from the BL's btw..and always had staying in tune problems with the beast but I stuck to it like a faithful husband..it still has original Gibson tuning gears which seem fine no slack..the neck is straight..the back of the neck seems to have suffered some form of meltdown in the laquer dept..just normal use or what?? BIG QUESTION...is it worth my while restoring this SG to its original condition with maybe a relaquer or do I toss it in the bin? Its genuine USA. I got a quote to repair the hardware and pickups alone for $800..will I get my money back? Thanks in advance. [-o<

I think that I smell a scam here.....

Lukesteele' date=' first check the prices on EBay and then you'll get an idea of what it's worth.

Blackie.... you should be ashamed.... #-o

[/quote']

Who's doing the scamming? I cant compare with Ebay. The guitar has had too many mods done to it to call it original.

Check the same year and model on Ebay. Do you remember what it looked like new? Your fiddle could be worth some cash since there's a lot of folks who love the old woods. I don't really know how much and '80 SG would be worth. It seems kinda like wines, there were good years and bad years.

If you get you SG back in original shape with original parts, then it's pretty well original. I personally would'nt dis a guitar just because it had a couple of holes plugged and it was refinished.

No scams, I'm just doing some good natured ribbing with Blackie.

Archived