Gibson Brands Forums

Mono or Stereo?

Larsson

Hi,

so i just got my DSL-50 head and 1936 cabinet and ive seen that there are both stereo and mono options,

but however im not too sure which sounds best, or which i should use.

Could anyone tell me which i should use, or what you guys prefer?

any feedback appreciated.

Cheers,

Larsson

Hi Larsson

I'll take this chance to congratulate on your new purchase. I also have a couple 1936's cabs. One with the G75's and the other with Greenbacks. One important thing remember to change the ohm's when you go between mono and stereo. 8 ohms mono and 16 stereo. I have an ABCD switch to I use to change cabs for my different heads. I also have 2 Orange 2x12 cabs with V30's and one with G12H30's and a V30. You would not believe all the different tones I get from one head when

I switch between cabs. I run 50 watt Marshall heads. JCM800,JTM 50, VM 2266, and a Orange Tiny Terror. By the way how much is 300 US it sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I know you'll love the amp. I've had the JTM 50 since 72 and the

JCM 800 since the late 70's they are keepers.

CW

ok thanks for the reply,

£300 is about $475 and i got the cab for around $220, both were in real good condition.

i looked at the 4ohm and 8ohm switch on the back of the DSL50 head and set it to 8ohm and ran the parralel output into the 1936 cab, but dident think it made too much difference.

does anyone know if it is best to run momo or stereo or is it just personal prefrence?

cheers,

Larsson

First check and See if anyone modified the Wiring on your transformer.

Alot of people Switch-em over like this and move the Green wire

over to the Purple one with the Resistor to give ya 4ohms output.

000_6982.jpg

You want to make Sure the Green Wire is hooked up all the way over to the left lug.

So you can have 16ohms output and can run a 16ohm cab.

If its 16ohms run it with the output Transformer Switched at 16ohms.

If its a 8ohm cab Switch it to 8ohms.

You Have to match it to what your cabs wired for and only use a Speaker cable

for hook-ups not a Guitar Cable for it to Sound the Best and for the output Tranny

to Last.

This is What the Wiring should look like for 16/8ohms possibilities.

If its used you got to Check this Stuff and look at the Wiring on the Cab

000_7003.jpg

You Have to Pull the Chassis and their are Things in there if you touch

you'll Die. If you Don't Know how to Discharge/ Bleed Stored Power to Ground, Forget-it.

But you Can Take the Tubes out and Mark their Exact Location

so as to put them back in the Same Holes they Came out of and loosen the 4 or 5 Screws

under the Bottom and Pull the Chassis out to Look for the Wiring in the photos I gave you

to See if their was any mods. Just don't Touch Anything

Cause you can Get Zapped and Quite Possibly Die.

Just look at the Photos that I posted and look for it and you Can go on youtube

to learn how to Discharge Capacitors

if you are using just the one head it will be mono either way you plug into that cabinet, the only thing you are changing is the ohms by running one head, set to mono it's 16 ohms, set to stereo and using both inputs to same head will be 4 ohms, to run stereo you will need two seperate heads. What might give you a different sound with one head is to use only one side of the stereo input @ 8 ohms, you'll have 2 speakers powered by the head and the other 2 will be unpowered but will add some more bottom as they will move with the lower notes.

Boston and Diamondjig he has a 1936 cab. That's a 2x12 not 4x12 (1960a or =;.

The ohms are 8 mono you plug only into the right jack on the back. 16 ohms is Stereo. Boston in this case it's 2 speakers Mono and 2 speakers Stereo here you are running one head into one speaker and another head into the other same cab for Stereo.

CW

Archived