Gibson Brands Forums

PAF Replicas

MatteoLP

Hello there! (hope this is the right forum to post this topic8-[ )

I'm new here at Gibson USA forum, I'm usually on the Italian forum, of course I'm italian!

Just wondering which are the best PAF replicas made by Gibson and also by other manufacturers.

The '57 classics on my ES339 are great, but I just wanted to compare them to other replicas.

I've heard good things about Bare Knuckle, Steve Design, Di Marzio 36th anniversary, etc...

I play mostly blues, and I'm looking for that crispy tone, for instance, similar to Duane Allman's, and Peter Green (I know he had his pickups out-of-phase modded): that's the kind of music I usually play. Sometimes even a little of ZZ Top and Led Zeppelin.

Could you suggest me something about it?

I'm sorry, but I find it really difficult to express myself in English, if only I could do that in Italian it'd be much better!

Thank you for your time=p~

Matt

Wow, so many. I would say the closest Gibson comes is the '57 classic or the burstbuckers. J. M. Rolph "Pretenders" and Tom Holmes 450/455 are supposedly top of the line reproductions, but expensive. Lindy Fralin, Skatterbrane, Wolftone, Dr. Vintage, Lollar. Here is a website that talks gives you links to several of the websites:

http://www.luxxtone.com/home.php?cat=1

Personally, I put in Seymour Duncan '59s just because I wanted a 4-conductor and I didn't want to pay a bunch of money, wait several weeks, or scour the earth just to get my hands on some pickups. I still consider switching them out again...Originally my R9 had '57 classics in it, and although they did sound good, I decided to take a chance with the Duncans.

Archived